Please Review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The earlier start has been the one thing that has driven me crazy over the years as at times she seems to be not ready for the pitch. Are there any video's of the matrix drill you could share?

The issue I see in the slow motion demonstrations that have been displayed here at DFP is that they don't comply with the Hanson Principle. That's not a knock on any individual ... it's simply reality.

The Holy Grail is about 'timing' ... and specifically about "timing the pitcher" so that you are "on time" to "time the ball". This is a concept that can be introduced during a slow motion or tee swing, but is best learned (read, "is only truly learned") while facing a ball coming towards you.

Thank you for slowing it down to show that. I see what you are saying now and this will be easier to show her what she is doing. That's part of what we are trying to fix as at times she appears to be 'all arms'.

This is a big issue for your daughter. She isn't going to fix this issue with tee swings. This is a "reading of the pitch" type issue. It needs to be addressed while "reading the pitch" ... and for that she'll need to work on this issue while swinging at a ball coming towards her. The attitude is to learn to trust turning the barrel to the ball ..... as opposed to lowering the hands as she finds the ball and then swinging. It's more about the barrel being turned about the hands ***AS*** the hands are on a path towards putting the barrel on the ball.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This is a big issue for your daughter. She isn't going to fix this issue with tee swings. This is a "reading of the pitch" type issue. It needs to be addressed while "reading the pitch" ... and for that she'll need to work on this issue while swinging at a ball coming towards her. The attitude is to learn to trust turning the barrel to the ball ..... as opposed to lowering the hands as she finds the ball and then swinging. It's more about the barrel being turned about the hands ***AS*** the hands are on a path towards putting the barrel on the ball.
I believe if there is something to work on FFS has it here. This is one of the most common challenges for hitters. The turn of the barrel described is rarely evidenced in most swings on a low pitch like this and almost always seen in the best swings in the MODEL SWINGS thread. I have a 14U too who is very successful but she is successful despite not having this concept correct in game swings. When she gets it, like your DD she will be awesome.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here is the 'matrix' that should be practiced:
BustosOutFrom.gif

Learn to 'Turn the barrel'.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She isn't going to fix this issue with tee swings. This is a "reading of the pitch" type issue. It needs to be addressed while "reading the pitch" ... and for that she'll need to work on this issue while swinging at a ball coming towards her.

I don't completely agree with this. When trying to re-program a swing pattern, I think tee work can be an important part of the process in getting new movements in place without having to worry about pitch placement. Once the new pattern starts to become familiar, then it's time to get working with moving balls. (IMO, YMMV)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't completely agree with this. When trying to re-program a swing pattern, I think tee work can be an important part of the process in getting new movements in place without having to worry about pitch placement. Once the new pattern starts to become familiar, then it's time to get working with moving balls. (IMO, YMMV)

The concept can certainly be introduced via tee work, but this particular issue occurs because she is attempting to level to the ball AS she is "reading the pitch". Girls with this issue can learn to perform good healthy tee swings ... they can perform high-tee swings until the cows come home ... but since they are not "reading the pitch" as they swing, they haven't solved the real issue ... and the real issue is with the leveling process as one "reads the pitch".

Tee swings are often overdone to solve issues. Tee swings do have a place ... but to truly develop a hitter, and to get them through issues like this, you need to go beyond tee swings and develop the swing while the ball is pitched.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Was thinking would something like this drill help?

Coaches Corner
A Double Duty Hitting Drill During Batting Practice
By: Cindy Bristow
Turn your batting practice into a 2 for 1 experience using this simple hitting drill add-on

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While batting practice is great, it does only allow 1 hitter at a time to get work – or does it?! Find out how you can double-up the benefits of your bp.

Using live batting practice is crucial to helping your hitters see live pitching, get their timing down and build up their pitch repetitions. But it has it’s downsides; one is it does take someone who can actually pitch it, and two is it only helps one hitter at-a-time.

But, thanks to the University of North Carolina’s softball team, and coach Donna Papa, during our recent NFCA Coaching College Practice Course, here’s a simple way to add a second hitter to your batting practice.

Here’s how it works:

•Set up your standard batting practice, using a pitcher, coach or front tosser in front of the batter – and a protective screen protecting them from the hit balls.
•Place a 2nd screen behind the plate and the hitter.
•Behind this screen, place a hitting sock net – which is usually a smaller net but has loose netting that allows balls to go into it without bouncing back out.
•Behind the sock net, and facing the pitcher, place a batting T , a bucket of balls, and a second hitter.

The purpose of this second hitter, the sock net, T and bucket of balls is to allow that hitter to face the pitcher, and as she pitches the ball to the player actually taking batting practice – the T hitter hits the ball off the T. This is a very simple, and yet extremely effective timing drill that allows the on-deck hitter to practice her timing and take some swings off the batting T before stepping in to hit BP.

Keep in mind if you don’t have anyone who can actually pitch batting practice, you can do this exact same setup using front toss.

bp-with-t.jpg

Or one could just have the tee and a coach could throw behind the net toward the hitter. As the pitch is going into the net the hitter could learn to 'turn the barrel to the ball' and hit the ball off the tee.
Just thinking......

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Tee swings are often overdone to solve issues. Tee swings do have a place ... but to truly develop a hitter, and to get them through issues like this, you need to go beyond tee swings and develop the swing while the ball is pitched.
Amen. Just video some tee work, front toss work, machine work, and game work and watch the swing change. The migration of movement (TM)from one to the other is a challenge

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
She improperly levels. That is, she lowers her hands to the plane of the ball as she is "reading the pitch".

1zf0aky.gif

A better approach is to learn to turn the barrel to the ball.

Just because I need help understanding...

Here is a snapshot as close to contact as I could get. It looks like the pitch was very low.

Capture swing.JPG

It looks like she gets the barrel below her hands to go get. How should she swing at this pitch? If you're going to swing at something this low... I see what you are saying about her hands dropping at launch but I can't see any other way to go get this pitch...

Attachments

• Capture swing.JPG
    Capture swing.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 87

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283