Playing Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
My DD has been pitching for the last year. She has the rest of this year to play 12U, unfortunately, there are not that many 98's in our area looking for pitchers. This last weekend she was asked to guest play for a 97 team, which moved the mound back three feet to 43'. I thought she did very well both offensively and defensively. She held her own and I thought she contributed to the performance of the team. Our question is should we keep her in 12's for extra mound experience before moving her up. I also wonder about her being the youngest on the team. Will there be any social problems. That not withstanding they were the nicest and most respectful girls and coaches I have come across in a long time. Maybe I am being slightly overprotective, I just wondered what the overall thoughts about playing up, the good and the bad.

Jan 15, 2009
One year is a pretty minor move up. Eventually she could be playing with kids 3-4 years older in HS. The extra 3' is less of a factor. I would want to ensure she will have plenty of opportunities to pitch if she plays up. Does not make sense to play up and play 2nd base when you really want her to be a pitcher first.

Feb 3, 2011
Since she's only been pitching for a year and wants to be a pitcher, my strongest recommendation is to find the best team where she'll be able to get a significant number of innings. Game experience as a pitcher is what she needs most, IMO.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One year isn't that big of a deal. I don't believe that there will be any social adjustments for your DD. If she were going to be playing with 16YOA girls, then that might be a problem.

Athletics isn't about winning. If it were, then only one team would have a successful season. Athletics is about how we choose to respond to losing.

The big question is how competitive you and your DD are. Good athletes like being challenged. Good pitchers want to find the biggest, baddest batters around and play against them.

How are you and she going to react if she gets shellacked in a game? Is she going to be crushed to find out that she isn't as good as she thought she was? Or is she going to enjoy the challenge of working harder and improving?

the best team where she'll be able to get a significant number of innings

Absolutely correct--she needs to be *playing* (as opposed to sitting and watching) at the highest competition level as possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45