Playing time at 12A

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
This must be why our 12A coach only carries 10. I guess I could pick the 3 best players if I had to, but there's no such thing as a worst player on the team. I actually have no idea how he'll rotate as in the fall we only had 9-newly formed team and one girl decided to quit softball after accepting spot and so he didn't want to fill the spot with just anyone. My guess is everyone will sit once every 10 innings-pitchers may sit more often if he wants to get one ready.
At 12u-a kid you chose for your team better be playing everyday. I see no reason at that age for anyone who was good enough to be on your team to sit more than one inning per game if you are batting the order, no more than one game a weekend if you bat 9.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Hell we bat the roster when the rules allow at 18A. Pool games everyone plays at some point (maybe not every game, but if they sit a game they usually will play the next game). We have a roster of 14, of which some will miss due to work, graduation, ect...

I have seen teams with big named Organizations have 16-18 on their 18G roster and will constantly play 9/10 even during Pool games... I get the win mentality, but there is nothing better than to see a somewhat lower player on the roster come through in the clutch.

Mar 10, 2016
In the more competitive leagues or tournaments I think it is hard to justify truly equal playing time. I think we run the risk of losing girls if they come to practice everyday and give a great effort and don't see playing time. At some point the question has to be asked if they should be on that team or in that league if their 100% is substantially subpar to the peer group. The best part about most suburban area's are they have many different league with different skills levels. I group up on a rural area and we had one team most of the time but some times two at the younger ages. The older the kids are the harder the question becomes. As grcsftbll pointed out, if you get down big in a game(s), I think you need to allow the girls to play at different positions and try new things. No one should sit the entire game in that situation. I think we lose kids that way.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
When he played 10, even in the bracket games, he put the other 2 girls down as subs so he could swap them in and out.

I could never see it justified (nor would it be in the best interest of the team) not to put all players on the line up card as subs. Unless you mean extra hitters?

This must be why our 12A coach only carries 10.

That sounds great as long as you have no injuries/personal conflicts. Fingers crossed for you!

Jun 12, 2015
I could never see it justified (nor would it be in the best interest of the team) not to put all players on the line up card as subs. Unless you mean extra hitters?

That sounds great as long as you have no injuries/personal conflicts. Fingers crossed for you!
If you're familiar with my fall saga you'll understand. Ex coach would play 9 with no subs even in pool games. Heck, even in scrimmages. I'm not super experienced, only our 2nd year of travel and first year of 10u. It felt wrong to me but what do I know. Anyway, left the team, new coach, much better now.

Feb 15, 2016
In the more competitive leagues or tournaments I think it is hard to justify truly equal playing time. I think we run the risk of losing girls if they come to practice everyday and give a great effort and don't see playing time. At some point the question has to be asked if they should be on that team or in that league if their 100% is substantially subpar to the peer group. The best part about most suburban area's are they have many different league with different skills levels. I group up on a rural area and we had one team most of the time but some times two at the younger ages. The older the kids are the harder the question becomes. As grcsftbll pointed out, if you get down big in a game(s), I think you need to allow the girls to play at different positions and try new things. No one should sit the entire game in that situation. I think we lose kids that way.

I don't understand the league and suburban comments. I am not talking league or rec, I am talking about a true "A" travel team made up of girls from wherever who all tryout for a team and are selected by the coach.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We carried 12 as a 12U "A" team last spring and into the fall. We used everyone in pool play even if we only batted nine. Once we got to bracket play we still let every girl get an AB 99% of the time. We always kept a pitcher in the dugout so she would be warm and ready to pitch if needed. There are times when this player did not get to hit so she would not be burned as a sub.

Our pool play pitching rotation was one of the best things we did last year. We had 5 pitchers and 3 primary catchers plus 2 more that worked on catching. In pool play we would throw a pitcher for one inning and swap. Same deal with our catchers. This gave all of them experience against very high level teams that they normally would not get. A #4 pitcher usually would not be the one throwing against the #1 seed in bracket play but she got the opportunity to in pool due to our rotation.

Mar 10, 2016
I don't understand the league and suburban comments. I am not talking league or rec, I am talking about a true "A" travel team made up of girls from wherever who all tryout for a team and are selected by the coach.

Sorry I might have drifted from your first tread post.

If you are talking about a true "A" travel group, I think you really have to play to win first. I never like to see a play sit a game but in travel ball it happens in big tournaments all the time. I have coached with others coaches that point blank have told the parents if your daughter is not the best in her position she may not see the field in a game. I think if the tone is set up front, like at try-outs you will stop the calls from parents about playing time that almost always seem to happen at some point.

Jun 29, 2013
This is the way I wished everyone approached this issue. Unfortunately there are some (and ones my kid played for) who stick to only their top 9 on Sundays and last until they run their top 9 into the ground.

For the record, I will chime in with some of my opinions which are not set in stone. I can tend to go back and forth on this one. I don't know that there is a right and wrong.

1) playing time is not equal after pool games

2) If a girl shows up at practice and works hard she should play

3) Nobody who shows up and works hard sits a whole game. Make every attempt to get girls innings in the field and an at-bat

4) Use DP/FLEX whenever possible to get more girls involved. Sometimes you only hit and sometimes you only play in the field.

5) Everyone plays on Sunday. I picked those girls, offered them slots, and their parents traveled, paid for hotels, etc... If they weren't good enough I should have stuck with 11 (yes I understand it is a long season and sometimes the ability level of the girls gets further apart as the season goes on). This is 12U and while they should begin to learn concepts such as being the DP or a pinch runner means you got to play, they also don't really understand and they just want to play some softball. As a coach, understand the fact that what you do on the weekend can impact her attitude and effort at practice. Of course the nine best players have great attitudes. They are playing all the time and are having fun.

6) Explain to the girls what you are doing and why and keep it positive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi