Playing time at 12A

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
That winning = playing another game and losing = going home.

When I coached 12U (two seasons), I batted everybody. I had only 11 (actually just 10 the second year), so it wasn’t that harmful to take that approach. Certainly could be if you’ve got 12 players and the bottom 3 can’t hit a lick. (Of course, good luck that they’ll ever hit if their at-bats are curtailed.)

But, IMO, the value of those extra games does not out-weigh the experience of those bottom 2-3 hitters getting an opportunity to play. If I feel we're not getting enough games, I can always enter another tournament, or play friendlies to make them up. I think most 12U teams play too many games as it is. More time should be spent practicing.

But that’s just me. I just think kids want and need the opportunity to play more than they need to win a few more games.

Jun 12, 2015
I think that's awesome, CB. I wish more coaches thought that way. I really do agree with you but i also understand why coaches play 9 in brackets. Ideally though I think if she's good enough to make the team she's good enough to play. Yes, I know I'm contradicting myself! Just trying to be flexible. Lol

Feb 15, 2016
Yes, it does matter, because at the younger travel levels is where the work ethic is built.

I like your thoughts on building work ethic. I also think it is important for girls to begin to understand at an early age that just because you were batting 3rd and now we have you 8th doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. Another girl is hot this weekend and you are struggling. Next weekend might be different. Part of the "does it really matter" question from my perspective was sort of from a "bigger picture" perspective. Does it matter that we played 9 all day on Sunday in a tournament because we had to "play to win" but meanwhile we had a crying girl and two sets of mad parents? Did we win more games playing the iron 9 than we would have if we had done some more rotating? MY DDs played on teams with a "play the best" on Sunday mentality and they also played on teams with an "everyone gets to play meaningful innings in every game" mentality. Looking back, I don't know how much difference it made other than the girls seemed a lot happier when all the girls played. Parents will grumble either way unless you place in the tourney. If you play 9 and get knocked out early "why didn't you play everyone?" If you play everyone and get knocked out early "Why aren't we playing to win? " I remember some games where a crucial error by player #12 may have cost us a game but I also remember player #1 making an error to cost us a game as well.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
In many situations, getting all the girls some playing time is more important than getting your best 9 out there. The girls who don't get much playing time will very likely either quit softball or find a different team. All the girls paid the club dues, all the girls present at the tournament made the effort to get themselves to the tournament, and give up a weekend they could be doing something else.

My DDs have only played on teams that would always bat all their batters. I've driven my DD 1 to tournaments where she wasn't a starter, but at least got to bat, and at least got to play in the outfield part of the game. I would've hated to drive her a ways to a tournament, then not even see her play.

The same with DS and rowing. He was in an elite rowing club in HS, that would sometimes travel several states away for races. Now he rows in college. The coaches always made sure he got at least one race in every event. That kept him and his parents happy.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Being the self surviving a.. I am ...

We are going to need the #12 player, she is going to get enough playing time that she has a chance.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I find the responses so far heartening. It seems unethical that in youth sports players would sit and not play at all. I voiced that opinion here previously and was told to "go back to rec ball."

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Actually, pitching is a different thing altogether.

I've seen some coaches who used different pitchers for pool and bracket play, to make sure their weaker pitchers got circle time and to rest the arms of the better pitchers. That's why it's good for TB pitchers to have at least one other position they can play.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Echoing what most everyone is saying but in different words: the best players should play more, granted they are at practice with a good attitude, but everyone should get a chance to play. I'm ok sitting a player for a whole game but never 2 whole games in one day - unless there is a reason (injury, attitude, etc.)!

I'm fine with batting 9, even Saturdays when playing time is more even than Sundays and even subbing your best bats out on occasion. I think the earlier players playing time associated with hitting the more likely they are to want to take that outfield spot or learn to play ______ position to have more opportunity to be on the field. They also quickly realize a good bat will find you a spot in the lineup.

Jun 12, 2015
This past weekend when we got way down in a game (which happened in all games but one - buncha first year girls against some really good 2nd year teams) the coach would let girls play their secondary positions. My DD plays short when she's not pitching but one inning he put another girl at short and mine played center (for example). When he played 10, even in the bracket games, he put the other 2 girls down as subs so he could swap them in and out. So the bottom 4 got fewer at bats but everyone got to hit and everyone got to play. No girl ever sat an entire game. There's a girl on the team who bats rightie but is learning to slap, so he had her go slap at a couple of her at-bats. Of course she's probably going to strike out (she did, IIRC) but how else do they learn? And when you're down 12 to 1 against a much stronger team, it's not like you've got much chance of coming back. So why not let them play, or play positions they're interested in and practice but don't usually get to play in games? I thought it was pretty cool the way he ran things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi