Player hit by LD, Kentucky HS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Anyone know any more about this?

Softball player hurt after being struck by line drive

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 7:49 PM
Updated: Mar 29, 2011 7:49 PM
Posted by Charles Gazaway - email

MT. VERNON, KY (WAVE) - A southeastern Kentucky high school junior is in serious condition after she was hit by a line drive in the face during a softball game.

Junior Holly Ham was injured during a game on March 28. She was flown to UK Hospital in Lexington for treatment.

In addition to playing softball, Ham is a guard on the Lady Rockets basketball team which won the Kentucky Girls Sweet Sixteen title on March 12.

Larry Hammond, the superintendent of Rockcastle County Schools, said counselors will be available for students who may be having a difficult time.

Jul 11, 2010
My thoughts are with this young lady and her family.

I don't agree with the call for a new "rule" or "law", though.

The products to protect players are out there, plentiful, available and affordable. It is the responsibility of the parents to require their purchase and usage.

From 10U & 12U, it was a standard rule in our house that any non-outfield play required the Gameface, practice or game. In 14U and now HS, DD has gotten better, so I have dropped it to only when she pitches or if she ever plays 3rd. She has worn in playing SS on her own accord during games.

Again, I feel terrible for the parents. You can hear it in the Mother's voice that if she could turn back time, that girl would absolutely have protection, and WILL have it from now on.

Take heed parents. It can happen at any time.

Jun 25, 2009
We were playing a team this weekend and their pitcher came out in the third without a mask. She had been wearing one all game. After what happened last year, our HC noticed it after a pitch or two and called time and asked her coach "wasn't she wearing a mask?" He said yes, don't know why she forgot it and brought it from the dugout. I am not saying this just to make a good story, ON THE VERY NEXT PITCH, Ball hit back and catches the top of her mask and a little forehead and she piles up. She was fine with a little stitch mark, but it could have been a lot worse. I sort of thought it looked a little odd when we called time for it, but am glad we did now. The base umpire came to me and said "think he could give me the Lotto numbers for next week".

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
One of my DD's friends is a HS freshman. She was hit with a line drive to the face during a varsity game this past fall. She looked bad, but luckily she was OK. She did hate the 2-3 weeks she had to wear the mask via doctor's orders.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Glad to hear that she is doing better. Hope she continues to recover and hope to hear more about her. Heard/read somewhere that there is a FB page up for people to post well wishes for her, does anyone have the link? I couldn't seem to find it.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Although this is a huge tragedy for this girl and her family, they will be in my prayers for a quick recovery, I am not a proponent of rules requiring face masks. I have full respect for the kids that do wear them and the parents that require their kids to wear them.

Last winter my DD dislocated her ankle playing basketball in the gym during lunch. She was in a wheelchair for 2 months and now MUST wear an ankle brace for all sporting activities. Do you think we should pass a law that a kid is required to wear ankle braces and basketball when playing basketball?

Dec 18, 2010
We attended a tournament in Maryland this weekend and a 12U pitcher not wearing a mask took a line drive to the face. She was hit so hard it broke her nose, broke teeth and gave her a concussion. They landed the helicopter on the field to air-lift her off to John Hopkins. She was back the next day to cheer her team on, but it was a scary moment. All of our players wear a mask. They wear the RipIt mask which is light weight and not as bulky as the Game Face. Their field of vision just seems to be better with the RipIt. It saved one of our outfielders last summer when center took a hard grounder up the middle that caught the lip and hit her hard in the mask. Instead of a black-eye or missing teeth she was able to recover and make a play. The masks have also helped when players have collided while fielding fly balls and when runners wearing helmets have made contact. I'm not advocating for a rule or law, it just makes sense to wear protection if it’s available and does not impede the player’s ability to be competitive. IMO...

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Although this is a huge tragedy for this girl and her family, they will be in my prayers for a quick recovery, I am not a proponent of rules requiring face masks. I have full respect for the kids that do wear them and the parents that require their kids to wear them.

Last winter my DD dislocated her ankle playing basketball in the gym during lunch. She was in a wheelchair for 2 months and now MUST wear an ankle brace for all sporting activities. Do you think we should pass a law that a kid is required to wear ankle braces and basketball when playing basketball?

Not to minimize the ankle injury, but a line drive to the face/head (especially 14U and older) can be catastrophic and change a kids life forever. I know there are a lot of opinions about whether masks should be required, but we wouldn't think of putting a catcher behind the plate without her gear, and most leagues require kids to wear a mask just to warm up a pitcher....just saying......