Pitching Speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our Team has had this discussion, argument, every year and I am sure we will again this year.

I think we should practice hitting at the higher end of the pitching speed that we will face, others think we should practice pitching faster than any pitcher we will face. In the last 2 years DD has faced 1 pitcher should could not get around on and did not get to face another one that I am pretty sure she would of had trouble with, they both threw faster then she could handle because they threw significantly faster then we practice.

If 1 person had their way we would practice with ball speeds at 70, not sure what would accomplish. I am also not sure my “giving” up on the fastest of the fast is correct either.

Opposing Teams will throw the fast P, followed by a slower pitcher or vice versa. They seem to be mean that way. I personal think our Team hits better against the faster pitchers, with the slower pitchers some of our better hitters struggle getting their timing down.

Going to work on varying practice speeds more this year but I am not sure practice with the fastest pitch you will see in 20 games accomplishes much.

One of those things I am not sure that there is a right answer to.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not understanding why need to differentiate between one pitch speed or the other.

Easy enough to warm-up at pitch speeds you will face, then bring it up to higher pitch speeds, and back down to more typical pitch speeds. There is benefit to practicing at typical pitch speeds, and at pitch speeds beyond which you will typically face.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Simple. Set a machine at 55 and do the Bonds drill moving forward and back relative to the machine and you've covered it all. Don't forget to move toward and away from the plate so you also cover inside and outside.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We only have about 10 minutes per week/ per player with pitching at distance, sometimes less. Sounds silly when I say it that way but it is what it is, doesn’t allow for a lot of variances.

The person that wants 70 P is more worried about the other players then their own DD, different problem in itself.

Feb 3, 2011
You're not going to see 70mph at 12u. You're probably not going to see much 60mph pitching either. I will say this, though. If each of your batters is only getting about 10 minutes of hitting per week, then you probably will not be a strong hitting team unless the majority of your players are just great, natural hitters or doing a lot of practice on their own.

I second the suggestion by Greenmonsters, but would at least double the amount of time each player is getting.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You're not going to see 70mph at 12u. You're probably not going to see much 60mph pitching either. I will say this, though. If each of your batters is only getting about 10 minutes of hitting per week, then you probably will not be a strong hitting team unless the majority of your players are just great, natural hitters or doing a lot of practice on their own.

I second the suggestion by Greenmonsters, but would at least double the amount of time each player is getting.

I took it to mean they only had the batting cage with the pitching machine a limited amount of time. Our rec league is like that. we have a cage that any team can use but you are limited to once a week for a one hour time slot so all teams in the league get a chance to use it.

You can do as much other hitting outside the cage though all you want or rent a cage somewhere else if you feel like it.

If I'm correct an that is the case then Quincy, I'd push the girls in the cage with a speed right around what you'll see from the top pitchers in your league.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It’s a Rec. League. We have 2 practices a week before the games start, once a week once the games start. The math for Team practice adds up to only a limited amount of distance hitting per hitter. I am OK with that.

Being selfish here but DD, grandfather and me hit on Sunday mornings for a couple hours. Told the Players we were going to be there and too many players started showing up. Sometimes it needs to be about your DD.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We use to (10-14u) get a pitcher from the local college to come out and pitch to the girls. Pay her $50 or so. This kinda covered a few bases, more speed and more movement. Plus the girls enjoyed the fact they were batting against a "college" pitcher.

Side note** Don't go looking for a Finch or Abbott ( or your kids won't hit a thing and be counter productive ) just a decent D2 D3 CC pitcher.

Jun 20, 2008
If you practice at or above the high end you need to remember to hit at or below the low end...I often see girls and whole teams that can hit 60-65 well and then cant hit 50 to save themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA