Picking up during a season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
I have a strong opinion on picking up with another team while committed to a team. But I would like to hear everyone's point of view since its crazy tryout season or finalization of next seasons team.
How do you feel as a parent/player?
How do you feel as a coach?
Does your team have a written policy?

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Not involved in travel ball now, but I never had a problem as a parent or coach with players picking up with other teams as much as they wanted as long as they fulfilled their obligations with their committed team. What they do in their own time is their business.
Agree with this. My only concern would be sustaining an injury, but I guess that could happen anytime.

Jul 29, 2016
I know this topic can push the wrong buttons with people. We've had both good experiences and bad experiences with pickups. I think as long as the coach is honest with the pickup player and his team about what everyone should expect, then there should be no issues. I think it is extremely unfair to the existing players on the team if you're bringing in some stud player who is going to play every inning which will result in members of the team sitting the bench. Picking up a player as an in-game tryout is, I think, also a good way to evaluate a player. Also, if you pick up someone, you ARE obligated to play them.

Having said this, here are a couple of our experiences that define my thinking:

1. I arranged for my daughter to pick up with a team. The tournament was about two hours away. Coach promised us lots of plate time (daughter is a catcher). When we arrived, we saw that they had nine other girls, one of whom was a catcher. Sounds good, right? Lots of field time for everyone? Wrong! After three games, my daughter didn't play at all in the first two games, and did not catch a single inning. The coach put her in as DP batting tenth in the third game, where she promptly hit the team's only homerun of the tournament. There was a 4th game scheduled, but we approached the coach and hissy-quit on the spot. It was obvious that the only reason we were there was as insurance against one of his players getting injured.
  2. Daughter played on a challenging travel team three years ago. Coach was good friends with another coach who had a catcher/pitcher combo that were good friends. They picked up with our team, and promptly played 80% of the innings at their two positions. Also batted in the 3 & 4 spot the entire tournament. They were both very good players, but their participation was to the detriment of playing time for everyone else on the team.
  3. Daughter missed three weeks with her travel team two years ago to do a brief stint as a summer camp counselor. The very next week after she came back, we traveled with the team to play showcase games in Denver (at considerable expense). When we showed up, we learned that the coach had expanded his roster from 13 to 17. Worse for my daughter was the coach had asked the pickup catcher who was filling in while my daughter was out to come to the tournament. She was already committed to a college that WAS NOT present at the showcase.
  4. After our regular travel season this year, my daughter played pickup with another team in her organization at USA Nationals. They were down to only one catcher, and really needed someone. I was so impressed with how the coach handled it. My daughter caught maybe 40% of the innings, which I thought was about right for a pickup player. She got some really good playing time (including catching all of a 9-inning game) but she didn't get worn out in the oppressive Tennessee heat.
It all boils down to being a decent human being as a coach and shoot straight with everyone involved - your team and the pickup team.

Feb 3, 2016
How do you feel as a parent/player?
Thought about letting my kiddo do a little pick up last Fall. We had team practice every weekend as we didn't have enough players to go to tournaments. So that didn't work out. We had a few kids call in sick and go to tournaments with other teams.

How do you feel as a coach?

Hate it if our players get hurt playing for another team.
One girl I knew picked up for the entire prevous year.
Parent had no money so it was free jersey and play for the year for her DD. (She did have money but it all went to partying)

Does your team have a written policy? We added a coaches discretion statement.

I think unless you are told your DD is getting playing time if picked up in advance along with a playing position all bets are off.

Common issues pick up players have experienced.

Batting 9th-10th sitting on bench or sitting in left field are all on the table and if another pickup player who's better than your DD is coming on Sunday < thanks for playing... you can stay if you want but most don't.

If you don't want to pick up with another team I understand.
Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020
As a parent, it depends. If it is going into nationals and takes away playing time from girls that deserve to be playing then that would probably not sit well. If it is during the season and makes our team better and the player doesn't cause issues on the team, then I think that is fine. I don't believe we have a written policy on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30