Pick-off Options at 3B

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2016
My daughter is a catcher. She never ever ever ever takes off her mask.

What I'd like her to do in this situation is to cleanly field a low pitch, but pop out of her stance and throw her helmet off (a signal to the rest of the team that its a fake), looking around frantically circling the plate left and right for the ball.

And when the runner, assuming the ball is loose, comes in, tag her out.

I think with a little practice, this is a fake that could be used once or twice per season.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
This type of stuff is most prevalent at 10/12U. A quick throw back to the pitcher is the best move most of the time, but for a pick-off attempt, throw to 3B shadowing the runner up the line. It's the least risky in terms of the throw and catch, you have a chance of back-up with the SS coming over to cover, and have the best chance to get a tag on the runner. I had Rec teams able to execute this after some specific practice and I used a prearranged word signalling a snap throw to 3B.

Jun 26, 2019
My daughter is a catcher. She never ever ever ever takes off her mask.

What I'd like her to do in this situation is to cleanly field a low pitch, but pop out of her stance and throw her helmet off (a signal to the rest of the team that its a fake), looking around frantically circling the plate left and right for the ball.

And when the runner, assuming the ball is loose, comes in, tag her out.

I think with a little practice, this is a fake that could be used once or twice per season.
This is much like what I was thinking of. It would probably only work once but you might as well try it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad