Pat Summitt diagnosed with dementia

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt has been diagnosed with dementia.
The 59-year-old Summitt went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. earlier this year where a battery of tests revealed she had early onset dementia. The Knoxville News Sentinel was first to report Summitt's diagnosis.
In a university statement, Summitt said she plans to coach the Lady Vols this coming season, but may have some "limitations." Former players are flying in to show their support.

Read more: Pat Summitt diagnosed with dementia, plans to coach this season - NCAA Basketball - SI.com

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is incredible to me, 59 and she has this. My mother was closer to 80 when it struck her, I couldn't imagine such a young person suffering with this.

May 25, 2010
I don't know that one exactly 'battles' dementia (poor headline title), but my money says Coach Summitt will continue to be a force on the sidelines - and the speaking circuit - for many years to come. Few people have a presence as commanding yet sincere as she does, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. She's extremely well-respected in coaching circles (by everyone except little Geno!), but I hope no one is writing her off just yet, because she's far from done.

Oct 14, 2008
This is incredible to me, 59 and she has this. My mother was closer to 80 when it struck her, I couldn't imagine such a young person suffering with this.

My mother had it at 61 it does come at earlier ages to some people. Especially if they have a family medical history of it. Nasty stuff. I wish Coach the best.

Tim

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I hate to hear of anyone getting Alzheimer's (or anything like it).

Hopefully Coach Summit's strong personality will help keep the effects at bay. from my limited experience with demntia in loved ones, her coaching may not suffer so much as her life between games. Look how long Ronald Reagan kept things under wraps before announcing his condition publicly. knock on wood, this is something she'll be able to work with due in part to the early diagnosis.

Jan 20, 2010
My stepmother has Alzheimer's and her decline was shocking. 5 years ago there was no hint that anything was wrong...2 years ago she couldn't remember what she ordered at dinner by the time it came. Last year she couldn't remember anyone's name...this year she can't remember anyone :(. She is in her late 60s though so hopefully Pat Summit will respond better to treatment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC