Parent behavior

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
We have all seen it before. The "bad" parent on the other team, or heck, even your team. The one that over celebrates or constantly gives instructions to all the player because they know more than the coach. Or the gossip parent that knows what #12 did at prom or how late #5 stayed out the night before the big game. We have all been around them.

But...

Have you been to a game where there were insults shouted at your team by the opposing teams parents? That happened to a couple of our players that had the luxury of playing on the side of the field that housed these awesome parents. There was a play in the third inning of our HS Varsity game; Batter pops up ball between 1st & 2nd slicing towards the foul line and in front of the right fielder. 2nd basemen ran as fast as she could to get the ball that was driving out of play. She dives at the ball and the ball tips off the front of her glove and the ball was dropped in foul territory. While she was on the ground one of the parents shouts "Great job #12, way to miss the ball! You suck!" Exact words. The right fielder heard the comment and directly asked the parents who said it only to hear nothing. Nobody took ownership of their lovely comment. Our players returned back to their position and kept playing. The comments kept coming, all game long.

So why do parents feel the need to interject themselves into a game? Does it make them feel better about themselves to comment "you suck" during a game? Unbelievable, and I have seen a bunch of crappy things at games.

Jun 24, 2013
I was coaching my 8 yo DD basketball team and when she was shooting free throws we had parents yelling very loudly for her to miss it. Seriously??? 7-8 yo's? It's bad at any age but how low do you have to be as a person when you want to see 7-8 yo's fail?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I like the chutzpah of the RT fielder. Notice how the tough guy or gal suddenly got amnesia when called out. POS parents. Cuddos to RF. I'm sure the school would of heard about it if she had replied back "No You Suck"!

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
If a parent crossed the line, yelling out "you suck" to my daughter, i would confront them. I guarantee we would both be tossed. There is a line.....

Jun 11, 2013
I'd love to have that RF on our team. Way to stick up for teammate.

I have witnessed a few parents who were over the line talking to our team, but not very often.

The only time you should ever say something to the other team

is Good play, Good try or Good game.

That's it.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
I'd like to think that if a coach of the team whose parents did it heard it as well that they would ask for time and go down and ask the person who did it to leave, and let everyone know that the team doesn't tolerate that kind of lack of sportsmanship.

Jun 7, 2013
When it comes to kids' sports, I believe that we need to remember that the movie, "Bad News Bears", was a very toned down version of reality.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
I talk to the opposing team whenever I feel like. Really razzed the opp catcher just the other day.

After a throw out at 2B, I decided to get in her head!

Yup- when she came back to the plate I said "Hey great throw catch, awesome play!"

That'll teach her!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan