P Stepping Back of the Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I have heard that FED is likely to eliminate the step back since they are about the only ones that still allow it.

This has been discussed at many a meeting, including NFHS & ASA conventions and the concensus there was that NFHS maintains this rule for participation reasons as not all HS have a good pitcher available. "Supposedly", this makes it easier to pitch. Whether that feeling has changed or not, I couldn't tell you, guess we will find out sometime soon.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
PONY rules say that the non pivot foot must be in contact or behind the pitchers plate but it doesn't seem that they allow a backwards step

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
At a minimum it appears it is legal is L.L. and USSSA.

Not sure about Little League because I've never worked a Little League game in my life (and I have enough trouble just keeping the rules straight for all the different sanction I actually do work :eek: ).

USSSA, which tends to follow the NFHS high school rules in many respects, used to allow the step back. They changed that rule in 2011. They now require both feet to start on the pitcher's plate and prohibit a backward step. In short, their rule is now inline with ASA.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
They follow ASA and they're legal everywhere else.

When it was legal in USSSA and in FED we had a pitcher that would pitch with the step back for those and without when we played ASA.

Many pitching coaches engcourage a "walk through" pitch as a warm up drill which is pretty much taking a step into the pitch so it's not that hard to be able to do both.

I'd be happy if they were to eliminate the step back for FED, but if they don't I wouldn't criticize someone for using the step back because it is definitely an advantage. Not taking advantage of it would be like a long jumper taking a standing start on their running long jump, legal but not encouraged. For pitchers it depends on your end goal. If your end goal is to be a great High School pitcher and then be done, step back is a competitive advantage. If you want to pitch in college, you need to be able to dominate without the step back in High school because you won't be able to use it at the next level.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
It is my understanding that yes, Little League allows the step back, but the step back must be BEFORE the hands come together. Once you bring teh hands together (ball in glove) all movement must be toward the plate.

Most girls will start with the pitching hand on their side with glove hand on front of the leg, and while tehy take that step back they bring the hands together while stepping backwards (hands will join together at end of back step), then start their move toward the plate.

If you bring hands together, then take that step backwards (with hands remaining together or coming back apart)...you're illegal.

Not too many people know this fine-micro detail.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It is my understanding that yes, Little League allows the step back, but the step back must be BEFORE the hands come together.

This is the same requirement of the high school rules (and was the same for U-Trip, until last year).

Actually, the "fine-micro detail" of the high school rule is that the joining of the hands can be after or simultaneous with the step back. So the hands could come together before the step back is completed, so long as they were both being done at the same time.

Does Little League word it that way?

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
This is the same requirement of the high school rules (and was the same for U-Trip, until last year).

Actually, the "fine-micro detail" of the high school rule is that the joining of the hands can be after or simultaneous with the step back. So the hands could come together before the step back is completed, so long as they were both being done at the same time.

Does Little League word it that way?

Actually, Yes. Little League does say [8.01-(g)] "A backward step may be taken before or simultaneous with the hands being brought together..."

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
i live in nor cal we had a 12u girl that pitched in little league and she threw hard but she stepped back. we started playing asa and she wanted to play but couldnt pitch because it was illegal..she worked hard and fixed it over last offseason an pitched last summer for us..she lost a little speed but was more accurate.. and btw the last post is right on little league rules and our hs rules are the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC