Overthrow on Appeal... can runners advance?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I had a case where we had two outs on a team with runners on first and second and the batter hits a double to right-center gap. Girl on second misses third by a country mile and the girl on first scores also. Two runs puts the other team ahead, and in all their celebrations and screaming I could not get PU attention for a time out to appeal the play. Pitcher gets ball and goes back into circle and I finally got her attention and the only thing I could think of was to tell her to throw to third and get BU attention. She did so and turned to BU to ask to appeal and he asked her which runner she was appealing #15, runner on second, or #31 runner on first. She looked to me and i flashed her 1 5 and she told him and he yells out that runner was out. It took a while to convince the official book that neither run counted, putting the other team back out of the lead, and eating up a boatload of time off the clock which really didnt matter as we where going up to bat when the clock ran out on "drop dead" rules.
Sometimes, with things that are going on, it is difficult to get things "right", I mean to call time out and appeal to the PU. The BU seemed to understand how out of control things were around the plate and took it upon himself to make the call. Dont know if it was right but it worked out for us..... this time.

Well, if nothing else can happen until your pitcher throws a pitch, you are in total control of the situation. No reason to panic.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I stand corrected on the appeal. A dead ball appeal does not have to be put back in play

Dead ball appeal. Once all runners have completed their advancement and time
has been called, the coach or any defensive player, with or without the ball,
may make a verbal appeal on a runner missing a base or leaving a base too
soon on a caught fly ball.

However, if the ball remained live and they threw to the base, the runners can advance

Live ball appeal (before Umpire calls time). Any fielder can appeal a runner
once. A Live Ball Appeal may be made by touching the runner (A & B & D
above) or touching the base (A & B above). The ball is live and all runners
may advance with liability of being put out.

This is right out of the USSSA rulebook. ASA doesn't keep their rule book online.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Dead ball appeal. Once all runners have completed their advancement and time
has been called, the coach or any defensive player, with or without the ball,
may make a verbal appeal on a runner missing a base or leaving a base too
soon on a caught fly ball.

No, it must be an infielder, including the battery. The coach cannot request such an appeal.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Must be an infielder in ASA.

USSSA, which tends to copy a lot of their rules from the NFHS (high school) rule book, does allow a coach to make this appeal (as they also do in high school).

Jun 22, 2010
You can absolutely advance. The pitcher had to put the ball back in play to make the appeal.
If you're going to reply to a month-and-a-half old thread, you might want to read the other replies first to see if the answer you want to give is right or not! :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA