Outfielder positioning to catch a fly ball that comes right at her

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
I have seen this a lot this spring (between my dd's Middle School team and her travel team), where a low fly ball (almost a line drive) gets hit right at an OF. The OF thinks she is in position, but the ball ends up going 3 feet over her head. The hitter usually ends up at 3B or scores because the OF's end up chasing the ball to the fence.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how the girls should react to this type of hit and how to better position themselves?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Its been called the hardest ball to judge, Right at the outfielder but not a high fly. The best thing to do is to take a step or two back so that the adjustment is to come in. Its a lot easier to take 2 steps in or to catch the ball knee high, then it is to take 2 steps back at the last second.

Aug 13, 2010
It is actually the philosophy of the team manager that he wants the girls shallow in the OF to prevent the balls that would drop in front for a single.

I will have to look at Youtube for some drills. Thanks.

Playing shallow is OK and I do it to, just make sure you adjust a little for the 3,4, and 5 hitters. Biggest thing is the first step back then hold, on anything that is not in the gap that you know you just have to sprint after. Just last tournament we had the best hitter in the league up we are playing on adult softball field so I play my outfielders back at about 200 ft, figuring they might get lucky and catch one at the very least everything should stay in front of them. The pitch is meat right down then middle and she crushes it to straight away center, I am doing the happy dance this ball is right at my center field and I have positioned her perfect, only to look up and see her sprinting forward about 5 steps. In the end it is just something they have to learn and hitting fly ball in practice helps a lot just have to keep working at it.

Jul 22, 2013
I think the best habit is to turn the shoulders 90 as the first move, even before moving up or down. This puts you in a much better position to go back if misjudged. What I see is the girls who get beat over the head back pedal which does not work as well when the ball is hit on more of a line drive trajectory.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Its been called the hardest ball to judge, Right at the outfielder but not a high fly. The best thing to do is to take a step or two back so that the adjustment is to come in. Its a lot easier to take 2 steps in or to catch the ball knee high, then it is to take 2 steps back at the last second.

Ditto^^^^^

Sep 17, 2009
work on drop step
work on drop step some more
then work on drop step some more

Sweet Lou, what do you do for ready position in the outfield? Do you have girls end up in a drop step position on every pitch as their "ready" position and then move from there (as someone said earlier, starting 90 degree open)? Or do you start them in a more neutral ready position?

We are really trying to fine-tune tracking balls off the bat and the ready position seems critical, but I see a lot of variety there. TKS.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sweet Lou, what do you do for ready position in the outfield? Do you have girls end up in a drop step position on every pitch as their "ready" position and then move from there (as someone said earlier, starting 90 degree open)? Or do you start them in a more neutral ready position?

We are really trying to fine-tune tracking balls off the bat and the ready position seems critical, but I see a lot of variety there. TKS.

How do you know which way the outfielder is going to have to drop step? I would recommend starting in a neutral ready position, so they are ready to drop step either direction.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
How do you know which was the outfielder is going to have to drop step? I would recommend starting in a neutral ready position, so they are ready to drop step either direction.

This is it.

Start them in a neutral position about 5 feet in front of you point in a direction and have them go and throw them over that shoulder.

Progress to throwing w/o pointing and throw over a shoulder and make them choose which way to turn throwing some directly over their head. That is ball right at them.

Progressively move them father away from you.

Eventually start hitting balls to them to read off the bat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283