Orgs with a showcase team question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DDs team brings in about 32k in fees and we attend about 17 tourneys costing approx 500 each. We have winter workouts in a fairly expensive place costing probably 600 per day x 10. That's less than half of the fees. Are we funding the gold team? Is that typical? Our team coaches don't get paid.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
indoor turf fields rent for about 300 per hour with hitting cages in the NE. We may pay less, that's what they cost where DD goes to the HC.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I would be more concerned with just how much you are personally paying. Not so much with how much money is coming in. Is your family paying the same amount as the girls on the Gold team? Did you know how much it would cost going into the year? How a team divides it's money is really up to the organization. If you are getting all the tournaments you were scheduled for, and you are getting use of a private practice facility, sounds like they are treating your team pretty well. What you don't know, is just how much having that Gold team in your organization could be helping you get into some better tournaments or access to better fields. Unless you were over promised, I would not say a word. Teams are always joining different organizations around the country just to be affiliated with a big name. It is not uncommon for Gold coaches to be paid. Charging fees to younger teams to use the name, is part of big time travel softball. You could always look for a smaller independent team for your DD to play on.

Joe makes a good point...the real question is are you getting the value for what you are paying for, when you factor in uniform and equipment costs, facility fees, tournament etc. maybe your actual cost is in the $1200 to $1500 per year range assuming that is year round $100/month sounds like a pretty good deal. You said they bring in $32K if that is fees from you and you pay closer to $3K per year then maybe you are not getting your moneys worth. Also are you counting fundraisers, in other words do you pay $1500/year but make the rest of the money via fundraisers.

there are lots of moving parts to the question but if you are happy with environment of the team and DD is happy and learning unless you feel really exploited it would be pretty hard to leave (just read the forums about how many families are always moving teams every year), also does the organization have a history and relationship with schools where girls that stick with the program get scholarships (not sure how old your DD is yet or skill level but just a thought).

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The org gets on the main fields of the big tourneys according to some parents from the gold team. My slice is about 2500. We do no fund raising. I'm able to pay the fees so I guess I should just keep quiet. Coaching is the best she's received in 5 years of TB. Team chemistry is great and she fits well with the other girls. This is an org known well in our area and generally respected. DD is 14 playing A ball. She has stated she wants to play in college so everything seems good. As someone just pointed out to me, skating instructors make a profit and so do gymnastics centers so why shouldn't a built up softball org. I was not over promised.

I was just wondering if this was common as you move up the ladder.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would be leary of any team or org that doesn't or isn't willing to provide a financial statement with an accounting of team fees and expenses. In fact, it's required for a formally recognized non-profit org. At least with that information, you can make an independent decision about whether its worth it or not. I'm sure we all know of one or more area coach or org director who couldn't resist the $ temptation.

Apr 6, 2012
One thing you need to know is that a lot of the larger showcases are no longer only $600. Some of them are close to $900. Plus, if you include coaches travel and hotels as well as equipment, it can get very expensive ( especially if you fly). We charge $1500 for the year and will provide any parent who asks with a budget. Our team funds belong to us and don't go to any other team, even though we are in an organization.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
32k is alot of money. My DD's 18U team is less than half of that and plays about 13 tourneys a year (3 national showcases and some smaller regionals). This includes all training facilities, etc. The org. Owns their own indoor facility and ALL coaches are volunteers, so we save money there. (we are lucky the coaches even pay for their own travel). Our org is very well respected with multiple championships at all levels.

If the coaches aren't being paid, i would be asking to see the books.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi