Opinions on Back Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Back toss better than side toss?

Now you got me thinking about the utility of side toss, which is more commonly practiced if not the norm. At least in back toss, the direction of the ball flight is parallel to the direction of flight during competition. Our hitters don't see pitches from the 1B/2B or 3B/SS positions (i.e., the equivalent RHB/LHB side toss set up positions) during games - so what benefit does side toss have over back toss?

Seems to me the only reason not to do front toss is if a protective screen isn't available. Without that screen though, maybe back toss is what we should be doing rather than side toss?

Hmm... Greenmonsters:D

May 12, 2008
Now you have forced me to pull out one of my favorite training videos I've stumbled across on the web. Not sure of the benefit of this drill at about the 1:40 mark but it would allow you to play two games at once!

For the sake of the kids whose parents are looking at that video, I find the whole thing counter productive to put it mildly. Lots and lots of very bad reps. I'm assuming you are kidding...I hope?

May 7, 2008
San Jose, CA
Seems to me the only reason not to do front toss is if a protective screen isn't available. Without that screen though, maybe back toss is what we should be doing rather than side toss?

I use side toss in my lessons also and get very good results. They are used as a warm-up drill after a couple of one handed and upper body tee warm-up drills. I guess it depends on what your lesson plan is and how the structure of the work out is designed. I find side toss allows the student to start slowly into their swing and gradually work to location. I also find that like tee work I can from this angle evaluate and give feed back to a student as well as control the pace of the warm up.

My issue is that sometimes I think clinicians come up with gimmick drills because if they don't have something you've never thought of, then what are you paying them for.

One of the most difficult coaching jobs is running a clinic. Unlike private lessons there are many variables and skill levels even within one age group. Sometimes a coach has what they think is a great idea or format and it just fails in this type of environment.

May 12, 2008
Now you got me thinking about the utility of side toss, which is more commonly practiced if not the norm. At least in back toss, the direction of the ball flight is parallel to the direction of flight during competition. Our hitters don't see pitches from the 1B/2B or 3B/SS positions (i.e., the equivalent RHB/LHB side toss set up positions) during games - so what benefit does side toss have over back toss?

Hmm... Greenmonsters:D

There are some issues you can force in side toss in terms of contact point. It's just one possible step between slow dry swings and full game hitting. Lots of possible steps along the way. Depends if we are talking about changing patterns and habits or just getting kids some bp.

Jun 6, 2009
For the sake of the kids whose parents are looking at that video, I find the whole thing counter productive to put it mildly. Lots and lots of very bad reps. I'm assuming you are kidding...I hope?

I like it. You never know when there maybe 6 or 7 pitchers in the circle throwing in quick succession. :eek:

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I used the back toss this past winter for the first time as an option for "in the garage" hitting practice. I sat on a bucket about 8 feet behind my daughter who was 4 feet in front of the net and tossed them past her. It took her a couple of buckets but she did start swinging faster and started catching up to the balls. I've never used it outdoors though.

Oct 14, 2008
We try to teach kids to do at the plate what they do in pratice because of muscle memory.....Ive never understood the drill, and cant see a pratical purpose for it unless she is trying to hit the ball the catcher is throwing back to the pitcher.......... maybe just one of those drills you do when your bored to tears with everything else..

Tim

Feb 9, 2009
Just came home from a softball afternoon with a HS Sr. who just signed a full ride to pitch...

Her dad has been her coach for many years, and I was griping that my 10U team has issues coming around fast eough on the better pitchers. She told me about a drill her dad has used to get his players swinging faster to catch the ball, and it is this drill we are talking about...

She loves it. Says it helped her swing faster as well as making her keep her eye on the ball.
The other drill she loves is when her dad stands on a bucket and drops the ball. She, as the batter, has to time her swing to the fall...Plus, he can place it anywhere over the plate....

Just thought I'd add a player's perspective...

May 12, 2008
Well that ball drop drill has a couple of issues I'd mention. One, you would need to start the drill after the stride shift. Maybe just heel drop and turn. Which is fine. You can add your stride, if any, back in later. Two, it seems to me the ball drop drill encourages standing straight up rather than starting in or moving to an athletic position. Which problem you could watch carefully for. OTOH, I'm all for drills that encourage quickness from first movement of the bathead into the swing plane till contact. Keep in mind, ANY drill can be perverted without an understanding of the intent and purpose of the drill along with the end goal. The corollary is, ALMOST any drill can be adapted to serve a good purpose when the hitter has a good understanding of their end goal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi