Ok, i need help once again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2010
As some of you know ive been having problems, with a new TB team that both my daughters play for...well team has decided to split, and now me and another guy have found ourselves putting together a 10u team, what do i need to do this right, what league do we sign up for, what do we look for in tourney selection, anything im forgetting, its been a long weekend and im real scatter brained so if anyone or everyone help me out......

Dec 28, 2008
1. Be able to provide a solid answer to the question "WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THE TEAM TOGETHER?" Why not just let your daughter try out for someone elses team?

2. Be able to define in your own mind what the goals would be for the team and they must be realistic given the time/talent you have available to put into the team. "We want to qualify for Nationals and play all of the most competitive teams in our state." Is a great goal, for a coach who has years of experience in providing the training and building talent, or for a coach who happens to be loved by the 3 best pitchers in the state. "We want to provide an environment where players can learn and play tournaments that are within an hour or two of drive time from our homes" is a reasonable goal for those getting their feet wet and those that don't have the experience or time to try and play in tournaments all over the state.

Sep 10, 2010
Im in a rural part of the state, nothing like this except for the team that we left, we had a lot of talent seeing no playing time beacuse of daddy coach situation, i just think this could be run better that what it was, yes i could get my DD's on with another team, but what about the other girls, and i really believe that these girls can spank the other girls, given the right oppertunities, Im not trying to win it all now, my goal is the future...i have sponsors, so its not about the money, just giving these girls a chance....

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
As someone in a rural area, I admire you. Recently, they've put together a travel organization here. Maybe a little too late, since the majority of the quality ball players around here have gotten too old but finally they are doing it. The girls who were good enough, they always left to go somewhere else when there is plenty of talent in our own county. We dominate in All Stars, imagine what those girls could have done in a travel environment.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
You passed the first test.

The right answer is you are doing it for the girls because they have no better options.

The second test is "do you know what you are doing?"

Just noticed you had the other post on the bad politics. Looks like you walked.

Average ability girls will kick A if taught and drilled correctly. good luck.

you need a field to practice on obviously, equipment (balls, screens, etc), INSURANCE, uniforms, etc.

Join an org you want to play in and get their insurance. Figure up tourney and ump costs and incidentals for balls, etc , uniforms, and figure out what you must charge in fees to play. then go do it.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2010
I played college baseball, and my degree is in Exercise Sport Science, (because basket weaving was all filled up) i know softball is its own animal, and i was fortunate enough to have a really good TB coach with my daughters prior to us moving, who showed me a lot, i know for sure i can do this, i have access to a field, and already signed a one year contract for $20.00 so no one else can be on it, i have equipment, still need a couple of things (youth catcher equipment, jugs full size net), we have a couple of sponsors so, im looking forward to getting started,

Jul 9, 2010
The major orgs are ASA, NSA, ISA, USSSA, Pony, and probably some others, that I'm forgetting. Basically, go their websites and look to see who has tourneys in your area. You also might want to look at recent results, if they post them, to see how many teams normally play in their tourneys. Ask other TB coaches - TB coaches have LOTS of opinions on who runs good tourneys. Try to play tourneys from a couple of different orgs. You'll see different teams, different umpires, etc. It makes it more fun.

At 10U, I would think you are looking to stay realtively close to home, and play in tourneys with the most teams you can get to without traveling too far. In your season, do try to plan one overnight, if your parents can afford it, because the kids will be totally turned on by the thought that they are traveling, and staying in a hotel, to play softball.

I believe ASA's insurance is accepted by everyone else, but ASA doesn't accept anyone else's. So, if you intend to play ASA tourneys, get insurance through ASA's carrier.

I would also minimize uniform costs to the extent possible. Spending $300 for uni's is not usually high on most people's agendas.

You are lucky with your field. We pay $30/practice to rent field space, and we practice 2-3 times a week.

Above all else, and you probably know this, remember that you are starting what may be an 8 year journey. You will want to be on friendly terms with most people you see. You can not control all the stuff that happens around you (obnoxious parents, mean players, nasty coaches, difficult umpires, etc). Don't lose your cool, and remember that you have now assumed the mantle or role model for 11 young lives.

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I'd also suggest being sure you have a team manager that can schedule / pay for the tournaments, collect fees, and keep everything organized. Starting a new team you are going to have a lot of things on your plate. Having that manager that you can count on will give you the ability to focus on practice and getting your team where you want them to be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06