offspeed, change speed targets and technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
i do not understand my pitchers are not allowed to use a pitch that has been good for them. a lot of coaches seem to like playing square pegs and just keep trying to hammer it in there. if a pitcher, and her coach and/or father/mother told me she had a good pitch of a certain type, i would go to the well until proven wrong.

A good coach knows his pitchers strengths and weaknesses. Some pitching coaches watch a batter's practice swings to try to figure out their weakness, while other coaches pitch to their pitchers strengths. I fall into the latter of the two. I tell my DD to throw her best pitch and if the batter hits a home run, give her a "golf clap" as she is rounding the bases - its "mano-a-mano"

Dec 20, 2012
Yes sir palm up like a curve but finish would depend on how much break was wanted. She also threw an offspeed drop curve with same grip. Her ring finger would be on the other side of the seem. She would use roll over drop and hand path would finish at her left hip(she's a righty).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think that knuckle pitch will end up being a great change up when the pitcher's other pitches increase in velocity. I like the knuckle-change-up, as it can be thrown with the same arm speed and arm whip as the pitchers fastest pitches. The one thing the pitcher has to be careful of is the batter seeing the raised fingers on the ball.

Dec 20, 2012
My dd throws her rise with the ole Hal bent finger. Lol but she does have a tucked finger and the ball stays in glove until glove is at 3 o'clock in Rm circle so in her case the tell is not a for sure give away of the pitch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd