Offensive Signlas for 16U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2010
I am new to coaching travel ball, but have coached HS (totally different world). I am trying to develop offensive signs for the team, but I'm not sure how many signs to cover and what method would be best for this age group.

Any suggestions?

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
I use an indicator plus sign system in this age group. The number of signs you have really driven by your offensive philosophy and the ability/time to teach your team the skills necessary to implement.

I was just working on my list of signs for this year, and have about 10-12 -- take, steal, bunt, show bunt, fake bunt, slug, bunt/slug/bunt, something we call obvious bunt, squeeze bunt, hit and run, angle down (also called ground ball go by some), hit away/slap for my slapper. I also have a separate sign I can give late for a steal of third.

It's a challenge, especially at the first part of the year, to teach them all new signs and have them forget their school ball signs. I've started introducing just the most importnat ones -- such as bunt --- during practice. I'm also set aside some time evey practice -- just a few minutes-- to review them and I usually give the players a play call, and ask them to give me the sign back. You also have some time between tourney games to review them.

Two other things I'd offer. I tell the girls that it's selfish not to learn the signs -- it's just as much a lack of effort as loafing after a fly ball or not running out a ground ball. Second, and this is a little bit off topic, but I tell them that they need to learn all the signs because on our team, everybody is expected to be able to bunt or hit and run --- even if you are home run hitter -- it's just part of being a complete softball player, and our game is different than baseball -- in baseball, the cleanup hitter almost never lays down a bunt, where in college softball, it's not all that uncommon to see a power hitter bunt someone along.

Oct 21, 2009
I have seen teams use a touch system 1 touch = bunt, 2 touches = fake bunt, etc. It is an indicator followed by touches to any where on the head. We also have the coaches give the signs to the hitters during BP when in cages. The players get used to seeing how the coach would actually give them the sign during the games.
All players MUST learn the signs. When base running you have to know what the hitter is doing. I hate it when a girl gets a hit is celebrating on 1B looking into the dugout or to mom and dad and misses the sign.

May 17, 2010
Thanks for all the input. I went with indicator plus touch system for most of the signs and stuck with a core of 9 signs (with the option to add more obscure ones later if necessary).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06