Off season sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Ya never know.

One of my friends in HS was head cheerleader and homecoming queen. Actually, I was a lot closer to her older brother. I played chess at the time and her brother was state chess champion. This girl was really sweet. She was part of the "in" crowd, but had lots of friends in the "out" crowd. As one person put it, she was smart, pretty and nice to everybody. Last I heard from her she was a research professor at Harvard Medical School.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Ya never know.

One of my friends in HS was head cheerleader and homecoming queen. Actually, I was a lot closer to her older brother. I played chess at the time and her brother was state chess champion. This girl was really sweet. She was part of the "in" crowd, but had lots of friends in the "out" crowd. As one person put it, she was smart, pretty and nice to everybody. Last I heard from her she was a research professor at Harvard Medical School.

Your right, Bob, you never know. I know of at least 3 cheerleaders on our HS softball team. My sister tried out for the JV team and made it. She loves it. The girl that usually pitches on our high school softball team is a head cheerleader and a vegan. Our Shortstop and Second base man are cheerleaders and vegetarians. Our pitcher, who has become one of my best friends since we became battery mates in softball, and her sister, who is one of my besties, invited me over to their place a few different times while they were playing softball and getting ready for cheerleading season. They're still trying to convert me to veganism. Not just a regular vegan...but...a militant vegan. I've seen some of the grossest stuff in those slaughterhouse vids. I think I could get to be closer to joining them.

But back to cheerleading. I'm not sure if I'd be the best choice for the sport. I mean I like to get dirty. It's one of the reasons I love field hockey and softball so much. You don't see many dirty cheerleaders. I kinda compare myself to that saying about the pig. "You can clean a pig until it's squeaky clean. You can dress up a pig in a really nice suit. But at the end of the day...it's still a pig".

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD, during her really younger years, has tried Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, Golf, Swimming and a myriad of other sports. She'd play for a few weeks and then it would be "I don't want to do this anymore." We'd make her finish out the commitment and then move on to the next thing she wanted to try. Even Jujitsu, the longest lasting of all the sports other than Softball just made it past the 2 year mark.

She started playing Softball at the age of 5. Since the age of 11, it's been softball only for her. She just has no interest in any other sport. She loves getting dirty, being behind the plate and smashing the ball all over the field.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD's first love is softball, but she competes in track and field, and competes for her school JROTC Raider team (military-style obstacle course run by a team). She likes archery as well.

Apr 26, 2015
DD has played softball since she was 4. She is now in her 4th TB year. She also plays club/competitive soccer and club and school basketball. She ran track this summer, plays football with the boys at school and was begging me to let her try out for the VB team. Not happening. She is no good at cheer thankfully so we're off the hook there. She told me tonight she thinks she should start pitching (she is the starting catcher for her team)...yeah kid - give up soccer and we'll be all over that. This kid loves sports - I mean breathes them. She never sits still and always has some kind of ball in her hand.

If you ask her which is her favorite she can't decide. It is whatever she is currently playing. Yesterday she had a soccer game and she LOVED soccer...today she had a SB practice and BBQ and she couldn't get enough SB. She is equally as good at all 3 too...i know she will have to decide someday - but when we talk about it now she freaks out! The only coach that has given her probelms is her new soccer coach - her other coaches love her enthusiasm and passion so much they do whatever they can to work with her crazy schedule.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BB played basketball, softball and volleyball in middle school. I have related before the horror story of middle school basketball. In HS, she then played volleyball and softball her freshman and sophomore years. I've related the horror story of HS volleyball. Then, her junior and senior years, she played golf and softball. She had a great coach for both. :cool: I am so glad she decided to play golf. Now we have something that she and I can do and do for the rest of our lives. She can flat out drive a golf ball. I've related before that she drove 4 greens her senior year. Now, she is in high demand for scrambles. On a trip down South where a bunch were going to scramble, they determined that she could not use the women's tees.

Now, she is jumping into slow pitch softball. She is playing a couple of nights a week and is playing fall ball. I think she has had something like 6 or 7 triples in her last four or five games.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD has always enjoyed playing sports. besides softball she loved BB and Figure skating. she also played travel soccer but only played for something to do. (her last season she had to quit due to a concussion and the girl who replaced her is now one of the captains on the HS team.) she played ice hockey for one season but most of the girls were the catty, backstabbing type so she had no interest in continuing. Basketball was sad. she loved the game and was a very good player who was stuck on a daddyball/princess team for 4 years that beat the love out of her. now she does marching band in the fall and softball in some form for the rest of the year.

Jun 12, 2015
I think this winter we'll skip basketball and give volleyball a try. Turns out our county offers volleyball. Basketball is just so intense. Last year DH coached her team. They won 1st place for the season then 1st place in the post-season tournament too. And I still didn't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi