Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Register Log in

OF Drills

Dec 18, 2016
So my 14yo DD has played SS mostly for the past two years and has become pretty good at it. This year she went to a new team and they have a good SS so she probably won't see much time as #6. Initial practices have her at LF. Looking for drills for her to work on to be able to read and track the balls a little better.

Apr 28, 2019
So my 14yo DD has played SS mostly for the past two years and has become pretty good at it. This year she went to a new team and they have a good SS so she probably won't see much time as #6. Initial practices have her at LF. Looking for drills for her to work on to be able to read and track the balls a little better.
I like having the player stand about 20 ft in front of me and throw balls to each side and in front and behind her.
Also like having player start on one side of field and keep throwing balls until she reaches the other side of outfield and then work her back in the other direction.
1st step is always back and then read and react. Work on drop step always to ball side.
Work on balls approaching the fence. She has to be aware of her surroundings and feel for the fence and make the play.
You can use tennis balls and a racquet or regular softballs for all drills.
I’ve found the hardest aspect for the girls to learn is the ball over their head. They all seem to want to throw their hands up and back pedal rather than use the drop step and get to the ball quicker.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessicaM97