Obstruction Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2012
This may have been posted and talked about before, but I was unable to locate a discussion on the subject. My question is where can I find the rule interpretation on catcher obstruction specifically on a back swing. For example:

R1 on first, batter shows the bunt sign, pulls the bat back when she sees the corners crashing and in the process of pulling the bat back she hits the catchers glove which prevents her from being able to take a swing at the ball. I saw 2 incidents of this and each was called a different way. The first incident the catcher was called for obstruction and the second incident the batter was called for interference and called out. I was looking for the actual rule or interpretation if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 22, 2008
It wont let me copy and past from the pdf I have, but the ASA case play on this indicates if the batter contacts the catchers glove on the back swing it is still catchers obstructions and the batter should be awarded 1st base.

The following is not from the case book. If it is apparent the batter is purposely attempting to make contact with the catchers glove on the back swing I would not rule it as catchers obstruction. Further, if there is a steal attempt going on and it is apparent the batter has attempted to interfere with the catcher receiving the ball it would be interference on the batter.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This may have been posted and talked about before, but I was unable to locate a discussion on the subject. My question is where can I find the rule interpretation on catcher obstruction specifically on a back swing. For example:

R1 on first, batter shows the bunt sign, pulls the bat back when she sees the corners crashing and in the process of pulling the bat back she hits the catchers glove which prevents her from being able to take a swing at the ball. I saw 2 incidents of this and each was called a different way. The first incident the catcher was called for obstruction and the second incident the batter was called for interference and called out. I was looking for the actual rule or interpretation if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

If there is a pitch on the way, the batter cannot be called out for INT. That umpire either doesn't know the rules or got talked into some BS ruling by a coach, but that too would indicate the umpire didn't know the rules.

Sep 3, 2012
If there is a pitch on the way, the batter cannot be called out for INT. That umpire either doesn't know the rules or got talked into some BS ruling by a coach, but that too would indicate the umpire didn't know the rules.

Can you point me in a direction to find this ruling in writing or a case study to support this? If you have documentation are you willing to send it to me?

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Can you point me in a direction to find this ruling in writing or a case study to support this? If you have documentation are you willing to send it to me?

ASA 8-1-D (1-4) for catcher's obstruction.
ASA 7-6-S and possibly 7-6-U for the 2nd situation described by Comp.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

How can I provide you documentation of something that doesn't exist? CPEM already posted rules regarding the catcher's actions. You can also check Rules Supplements 8 and 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand