Obstruction on a routine double....batter-runner awarded third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I've watched 50 18U games on that field. Besides, the judgment isn't what base would Carl Lewis or Flo Jo get to, it's what base would the batter-runner have gotten without the obstruction.

Keep telling yourself that it must be fact because that is what you have observed.

Nov 8, 2014
Note to self- Thanks MTR. it was a routine double.it was a routine double.it was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine doubleit was a routine double.it was a routine double

Jul 6, 2013
My question is why in the world would you come on here, ask a question to the umpires, and then disagree and try to explain the rule to them if you knew it already? Are you just ticked off at the umpire and trying to get some retribution here???

And for the record, I know more than a couple girls who will leg out triples to the gap in 18U gold play...don't be so sure of what you are saying. They are committed to big time programs, mind you, but the point still remains.

But as a follow up to the umps...can the umpire just award the next base, or does an attempt on the next base have to be made by the runner?

Jun 22, 2008
The obstruction rule is not punitive in any way, it is only to fix what the defense cost the offense. And no, no attempt to advance has to be made to be awarded a base or bases. Example, and we will use a ball hit in the gap to the fence. Batter is rounding 1st and runs into F3 who has camped out on the inside edge of the base. Runner is injured and falls to the ground unable to advance, but manages to crawl back to 1st base before she is tagged out. At the conclusion of play the umpire is to award the runner the base, or bases she would have reached absent the obstruction.

Nov 8, 2014
My question is why in the world would you come on here, ask a question to the umpires, and then disagree and try to explain the rule to them if you knew it already? Are you just ticked off at the umpire and trying to get some retribution here???

My understanding was that obstruction results in corrective action not punitive. And I was asking for a ruling. I would have to re-read the thread to see if I tried explaining the rule to an umpire. I was stunned by the awarding of third because in my judgment the play was a clear double. I was a fan at this game. If I were coach, I would have asked the second base field ump for an explanation. If he said he thought the batter-runner was obstructed on a clear triple, I would've asked him to confer with the other three umpires.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
My understanding was that obstruction results in corrective action not punitive. And I was asking for a ruling. I would have to re-read the thread to see if I tried explaining the rule to an umpire. I was stunned by the awarding of third because in my judgment the play was a clear double. I was a fan at this game. If I were coach, I would have asked the second base field ump for an explanation. If he said he thought the batter-runner was obstructed on a clear triple, I would've asked him to confer with the other three umpires.

And it is quite possible the umpire would have declined your invitation since it is solely his/her judgment of whether there was OBS and what base would have been attained safely. Not saying the ruling was correct, but explaining what may occur.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06