Obstruction during a rundown

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2011
Is there a different set of rules for obstruction during a rundown/pickle? Standing in front of a base waiting for a throw is obstruction for all other plays, but does not get called during rundown unless there is contact with a fielder who does not have the ball.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Waiting in front of a base for a throw is not obstruction on its own (on any kind of play). Obstruction does not occur until the moment a runner's progress is impeded by a fielder not in possession of the ball. A fielder being where a runner might be in the future is not obstruction.

Nov 18, 2015
...but does not get called during rundown unless there is contact with a fielder who does not have the ball.

I’d check your rule set, but I don’t think any of them (including OBR) have “contact” as a criteria for making that call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
The ONLY ruleset that just being in front of a base without the ball is obstruction is NCAA. Every other ruleset the runner must be impeded to have obstruction, and as stated a rundown does not change the obstruction rule.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
The ONLY ruleset that just being in front of a base without the ball is obstruction is NCAA. Every other ruleset the runner must be impeded to have obstruction, and as stated a rundown does not change the obstruction rule.

So how does a pickle work in NCAA? You have to stand behind the bag until you have the ball?

May 7, 2015
SoCal
The runner has to be impeded.. If you have to alter your direction because of a player without the ball, OBS. If you have to slide differently, OBS. Running towards a player is not OBS.

Jun 22, 2008
So how does a pickle work in NCAA? You have to stand behind the bag until you have the ball?
You would have to ask NCAA that question. They are the ones that made the idiotic rule after Lisa Fernandes flipped her lid and bumped an umpire at the wcws

Oct 11, 2018
In any pickle you should never be behind the bag. we teach fielders to be inside diamond and not in base-line/base-path. Give the runner the base-path so you don't obstruct them and also so you are not throwing the ball over the runner. If you are behind the bag the runner can get her foot in before you apply the tag. Inside the base path and a step or 2 before the bag is good position.

Aug 17, 2019
Yes to what @jackfrost said. We taught that the defense has to be on either side of base path not just inside the diamond. We would work drills where the defensive player without the ball would choose one side or the other and the defensive player with the ball would move to that side while starting the pickle. We also taught that after the player overhand flips the ball to the other player they peel out away from the base path, ie. you never cross the base path. The summary is that defensive players should not be in the base path.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00