NPF suspends operations. New pro team formed in Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
WNBA isn’t the NBA. The basketball is smaller and lighter. The game has 2 20 minute halves instead of 4 12 minute quarters. The three point line is different. The lane is different. The women’s game is played below the rim.

A lot of women’s softball players grew up playing baseball. The games are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree w/the similarities, but NBA and WNBA can play on the same court/arena. Will MLB be willing to build softball fields? They can't afford their minor league teams lately.

May 23, 2015
Taxpayers subsidize mlb and other pro sports facilities.

Not saying I agree with that practice. However, is there an argument that pro womens sports/facilities should be subsidized equitably as mens? Title 9 kinda flavor?

May 23, 2015
Maybe they should give up fastpitch and go back to women's baseball?
maxresdefault.jpg
Its been tried... many years ago I helped the Silver Bullets get organized and helped them TRY to raise money. They only lasted 4 years of active ball. Coors helped to the tune of $2M per year {recollection) which allowed them to barnstorm and pay incidentals

The first year showed decent promise, but it quickly turn into a novelty.. Fans never latched on. It was a mediocre viewing experience even with baseball on strike

It was tough to watch with McGuire, Sosa, Bell, Piazza, Bonds, Thomas.... smashing the ball and the Bullets losing to Legion teams

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I do think the format is a bit of a gimmick and not what I prefer to see, but it's basically All Star Games every week.

I agree that the Athletes Unlimited model is quirky, but you have to start somewhere to generate interest. I think we all know a minor league team or two that used gimmicks to put fans in the stands. Besides, you have to start somewhere; every professional sports league started small. The NBA formed from two separate leagues, the MLB formed from club teams, and the NFL formed from regional teams.

The only way to build any sustainability is for high level adult teams to compete regionally, simply for the sake of competing. In the early days players from the other professional leagues did not make a living wage from playing the game. They played the game because they wanted to compete.

Highly competitive adult teams will follow the current TB model, Organizations will compete for players, look for sponsors and slowly tournaments will begin to draw fans. Former college players will want to compete. The adult version of the Sparkler will draw sponsorship and fan interest will continue to grow. In all likelihood it will grow faster because the world is a much smaller place these days.

Side bar - getting some former MLB players involved for name recognition wouldn't hurt.

If there is any interest in building a professional fastpitch league, it will have to be a grassroots movement.

Thank you for your time, all thoughts and opinions belong to the poster.

May 20, 2016
I find it surprising that someone like ESPN doesn't back a fastpitch league. If done correctly it could be a money maker for sure. With how the ratings for the women's cws were so much higher than the mens, there has to be a market. Just needs ot be done right. Not played at baseball stadiums. Marketed correctly. There is money to be made. Just need the right investors and good leadership.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I find it surprising that someone like ESPN doesn't back a fastpitch league. If done correctly it could be a money maker for sure. With how the ratings for the women's cws were so much higher than the mens, there has to be a market. Just needs ot be done right. Not played at baseball stadiums. Marketed correctly. There is money to be made. Just need the right investors and good leadership.

I agree. I think it's pretty obviously untrue that people only watch the WCWS because they like one college or another. They may grow to be a fan of one, but they're watching for the sport. Otherwise, every sport's college championship would do huge numbers on ESPN.

The biggest issue, like I said, is that nobody knew the NPF even existed because they were either too incompetent or uninterested in putting their product in front of as many eyeballs as possible. ESPN has a hundred networks, and they'll put pretty much anything on. I've seen drone racing on TV. I've seen footvolley (it's literally volleyball, but you have to kick the ball over the net). You're telling me softball isn't more popular than that? GTFO.

Jul 5, 2016
I liked the Athletes Unlimited format just fine even if it was a bit unusual.

The announcers need to shut up about the individual point awards because the women were still playing as a team. Of course, every player wants to be the MVP of every game they play, but they are also playing as a team. It's typical of American sports coverage to want to make it all about individuals vs individuals even when the players are functioning as a team.

Jun 8, 2016
It's typical of American sports coverage to want to make it all about individuals vs individuals even when the players are functioning as a team.
Yeah, softball is kind of an individual sport though...Other than moving runners over, there are not a lot of "selfless" acts in baseball/softball...what benefits you also benefits the team...

Jul 5, 2016
Yeah, softball is kind of an individual sport though...Other than moving runners over, there are not a lot of "selfless" acts in baseball/softball...what benefits you also benefits the team...

True enough. Hard to be a ball-hog in softball the way you can in basketball, for example. Still, my comment was directed more at some commentators who seem to like to find or invent conflict between players and amplify it - a pattern of behavior most noticeable during the Olympics, it seems.

Jun 8, 2016
True enough. Hard to be a ball-hog in softball the way you can in basketball, for example. Still, my comment was directed more at some commentators who seem to like to find or invent conflict between players and amplify it - a pattern of behavior most noticeable during the Olympics, it seems.
Makes good copy..conflict and drama sells unfortunately..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06