NPF suspends operations. New pro team formed in Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I don't know why MLB would do this. It's not their job or responsibility to promote female fastpitch softball. I don't know what the up-side for them would be in doing anything. Sponsoring the Olympic team is one thing, that's USA and everyone can get behind that. But, the NPF? I don't know.
What if MLB teams in the south and/or with enclosed stadiums, started FP league that ran from Nov-Feb? Then their gigantic stadiums would not sit empty and they could produce some revenue from ticket sales and concessions? We all know they won't pay huge salaries, at least at the beginning, so maybe it wouldn't cost prohibitive. Maybe it's run with smaller local conferences to cut down travel costs that produce conference champions who go into a championship bracket.

If we as Americans can get over the idea of it being played on a BB field, it could be a possibility.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
The NBA supporting the WNBA makes sense because they are promoting basketball. Fastpitch isn't baseball and I can't see why MLB would want to promote it, especially as it's a better, more interesting game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Please say more.

I know plenty of softball fans, players, parents, etc. who have no idea what the NPF is. I'd argue somewhere north of 95% of people who say they're sports fans wouldn't be able to tell you what NPF stands for, and a good percentage of them wouldn't know what sport it was when you told them (not having "softball" in the name is one of the dumbest branding/marketing decisions in pro sports history).

The Chicago Bandits were founded in 2005 and their existence was basically a rumor. Everybody here knows the Chicago Sky, whether they like basketball or not. And that's not just because the NBA is involved with the WNBA.

Where were the TV deals? Athletes Unlimited got pretty good TV deals immediately (in terms of reaching the consumer; I don't know the financial deal there). Why couldn't the NPF do that?

The expansion and contraction and just randomly assigning franchises to locations was always a bad idea.

They had one franchise in California (way back at the beginning of the league in 2004) for the entirety of the league. I could be wrong, but something tells me a pro team or two in a softball hotbed might have done OK.

If independent baseball teams can survive (and yes, I know those players don't make much money at all), there's no reason why a well-run softball league couldn't. It's not going to make the money the NFL does, but I bet with some people who weren't idiots they'd have a league that people actually knew existed.

May 11, 2014
It's not the name on the back of the shirt, it's the name on the front. That might be an over simplification but not by much. A person may not be a softball fan but instead be a university fan.

Oct 14, 2019
WNBA isn’t the NBA. The basketball is smaller and lighter. The game has 2 20 minute halves instead of 4 12 minute quarters. The three point line is different. The lane is different. The women’s game is played below the rim.

A lot of women’s softball players grew up playing baseball. The games are very similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 31, 2015
What if MLB teams in the south and/or with enclosed stadiums, started FP league that ran from Nov-Feb? Then their gigantic stadiums would not sit empty and they could produce some revenue from ticket sales and concessions? We all know they won't pay huge salaries, at least at the beginning, so maybe it wouldn't cost prohibitive. Maybe it's run with smaller local conferences to cut down travel costs that produce conference champions who go into a championship bracket.

If we as Americans can get over the idea of it being played on a BB field, it could be a possibility.

Good idea.
Or how about using college stadiums during the summer?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This Wednesday DD wil participate in a scrimmage with current college players. 2 teams from the Houston area and another team that is from College Station although I see players that are actually from Houston on that team. They did the same thing last year but it's just a way for the girls to get reps. I wonder if someone or some entity could put forth some effort to create some type of league if it would succeed. There will be various levels of players playing in these scrimmages. All American D1 players, D2, D3, NAIA and Jucos. I just don't know how many would be able or want to play that much. It's hot, some have jobs, it's a far drive, they are enjoying their time off, etc.

May 4, 2016
It's not the name on the back of the shirt, it's the name on the front. That might be an over simplification but not by much. A person may not be a softball fan but instead be a university fan.
Most softball fans are college softball fans. It irritarted me every pro fastpitch game I have gone to with my daughter (which is only 3). No mention is made of where the player went to college. The game would get more exposure if they play on what these players did in college. Saw the USSSA Pride this summer and they had Odicci Alexander. Instead of announcing "at DP Odicci Alexander", hype it up "as the DP from James Madison number 1 Odicci Alexander. I mean if Michael Jordon was always a 6'5" Guard from North Carolina. Just shows NBA knows how to continue the marketing.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Good idea.
Or how about using college stadiums during the summer?
I think from a business perspective, MLB has the money to make something work, but you can't go at the same time as MLB and you have to give them a way to utilize what they have to at least break even. Then they have to opportunity to leverage the FP following to come see MLB games. (ie. meet the player nights, exhibition games before MLB game, camp on the field before the game...get creative)

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like MLB is creative at all.

Edit: What about all of the minor league stadium around in smaller towns? Double headers with FP and BB would be a great day at the park.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06