Not softball, but internet related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I got an email from "Comcast" saying my internet was about to be shut off because the credit card I have on file was declined. Funny, I thought I pay my bill on line every month from my checking account not via credit card. So I called comcast.

As I suspected its a phishing scam to try to get people to give up credit card info. It seems lots of people are getting these emails. Do not click on the link. If you are unsure, call Comcast to verify your account status (800)COMCAST.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Here is a new scam that has hit a few in our small town.

A "local" number pops up on your phone, says they are with _____ _______ ( a legit business in your area that you pay monthly ) and need to update your credit card number or bank routing/account #'s.

Somehow they can mirror a non existing phone number to appear in your "caller ID" so it looks local. If you call the number back, it sounds like a fax or a recording of "non working number".

My advice is never give up your financial info. If one does call or email, look up the customer service yourself and inquire from your end, not there's.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Another tip that is somewhat reliable.....

Most legitimate companies that email you will already have your information if you have done business with them before. If the email is legimate, it will be addressed to you by name in the body of the message. It will not be addressed to "Dear Valued Customer", "Dear Member", or any other generic title.

Also - if it is a legitimate company, they will not ask to "verify" your information...they will already have it if you have done business with them before.

The phishing emails that are out there look very real, with actual company logos and official sounding verbiage. Be careful.

Nov 29, 2009
Somehow they can mirror a non existing phone number to appear in your "caller ID" so it looks local. If you call the number back, it sounds like a fax or a recording of "non working number".

That is called "Spoofing" the phone number. It is illegal to do so.

You're more likely to answer a call that has a local area code and exchange than an unfamiliar number.

With emails they phishers will edit the email packet header to hide exactly where it came from. There have been many spam ISP's that have been shut down, but they haven't hit them all yet.

As the others have said. ALWAYS err on the side of caution and call the company the email supposedly came from.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
I got an email from "Comcast" saying my internet was about to be shut off because the credit card I have on file was declined. Funny, I thought I pay my bill on line every month from my checking account not via credit card. So I called comcast.

As I suspected its a phishing scam to try to get people to give up credit card info. It seems lots of people are getting these emails. Do not click on the link. If you are unsure, call Comcast to verify your account status (800)COMCAST.

I'm so glad I no longer have to worry about all the internet scams, spoofing and phishing.

I got an email last week from someone at the United Nations that had some $26 million in an account from a former Congo Politician and he said it was earmarked for just for me. I just had to send them a little info and I should have that money in a week or so. Soooo excited! :p

:rolleyes:

Jun 22, 2008
Bank of America calls me before my house payment is even late, and then want me to verify my address and SS# to them to prove I am actually who they called. They seem to get real annoyed when I tell them not on your life and to take a hike.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Bank of America calls me before my house payment is even late, and then want me to verify my address and SS# to them to prove I am actually who they called. They seem to get real annoyed when I tell them not on your life and to take a hike.

If it's a legit call, they already have your info. Ask them to give you what they have and you will tell them if it is correct.

Jun 22, 2008
If it's a legit call, they already have your info. Ask them to give you what they have and you will tell them if it is correct.

It just ticks me off because they have no reason to be calling. Payment is not late yet, they can look at their records and see the payment is made the same time every month and yet they insist on calling.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd