(not so) Random musing....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I mean, to be pedantic, it's moving the bag closer. The base (which is a point, and which is currently in the middle of the 2nd base bag, unlike 1st and 3rd where the base is the back corner of the bags) would still be the intersection of the lines from the back corner of first and third. But the effect is to make the space between the bags shorter. The bases will still be 90 feet, like they are today. All that to say, this is a dumb idea that I can't imagine will have any meaningful impact on the game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Rob Manfred thinks that the extra ~6 inches between 1st and 2nd base is why a generation of young sports fans don't want to watch his sport (couldn't possibly because they don't market their stars, have archaic blackout rules, try to stifle the pure joy expressed by minority players, etc.). Never thought I'd long for the days of Bud Selig, but at least he didn't actively, aggressively hate the sport the way Manfred so clearly does.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
So bases will be 13 inches closer, I wonder if that takes into consideration the larger bases? If no then the bases will be even closer. Anyone who doesn’t think 1+feet will impact baseball isn’t watching much MLB. Consider all the bang bang plays. All the tag plays on stolen bases at second. How many are now going to be safe? Even how runners make their turns, flatter and on a slightly straighter line, This is a big change if it ever happened in MLB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles