NOOB Question: 7 year old starting to play.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2012
First off, I want to thank the people on this forum for the information I have already read in a short period of time. My daughter is 7 and is starting out this week on her first real team. She has only played 10 games of tee ball and is now moving up to a machine pitch team since the tee ball season is over. She loves to play and I want to help her as much as I can. Are there any recommendations that anyone has to help greatly increase her skills? She is so inexperienced but was asked to join one of our better teams based off her potential they see in her. I never played ball much past little league so I don't really know what to do to help her short of just playing catch. Can anyone give me some ideas or lead me to information that will help her? Thanks. I just want her to have fun but at the same time learn the basic fundamentals of the game.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
First off, I want to thank the people on this forum for the information I have already read in a short period of time. My daughter is 7 and is starting out this week on her first real team. She has only played 10 games of tee ball and is now moving up to a machine pitch team since the tee ball season is over. She loves to play and I want to help her as much as I can. Are there any recommendations that anyone has to help greatly increase her skills? She is so inexperienced but was asked to join one of our better teams based off her potential they see in her. I never played ball much past little league so I don't really know what to do to help her short of just playing catch. Can anyone give me some ideas or lead me to information that will help her? Thanks. I just want her to have fun but at the same time learn the basic fundamentals of the game.

Actually playing catch is possibly the best way to improve her skills. You can roll grounders and work on form. You can toss pop ups. Certainly look to maybe get a beginner video or even a book. The best advice I think you can get is to keep it fun for her. Welcome and good luck.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Do you know what type of machine is pitching to her?

I still hit 11YOA DD tennis balls, HC and other parents want nothing to do with it but guess who catches fly balls the best on our Team?

A lot of times it is just DD and me practicing so I place cones on the field, trash cans would probably be better, that once she catches the ball she throws it somewhere besides back to me.

Playing catch with your DD makes a bigger difference then you would think.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Quincy, I do this all of the time. If you can catch a tennis ball, you can surely catch a softball. I start the girls (and boys) tossing a softball up in the air, to themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00