Newbe revelation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
I have a question about the word "fair" to whom are we trying to be fair to? if we follow the fair method to its logical conclusion what will we have? first, we don't want all the good players on one team, the stacked team, and all the kids who are new or need more development on the other team. so what we do in the name of fairness is split them up. ok, after a season or 2 of the better players having to not play at their level ie not throwing too hard for fear of hurting a girl who doesn't catch that well. she quits rec. you are now left with all the weaker girls on one team which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place because all the better girls left for travel ball. ever wonder why schools split kids into classes based on their ability? could it be because it is not fair to the smarter kids when they are in a classroom with a kid that needs more help and dominates most of the teachers time? how much will a quality player get out of a rec ball team that most time is spent helping suzy learn how to throw or catch or not be afraid of the ball...answer nothing. IMO have teams based on level of playing ability because we are trying to help all girls not just the ones that are new. now that may sound insensitive but hear me out. when you mix the girls where does suzy play? right field or left bench. if she was on a team with girls at her level she may be the starting SS and who knows she may flourish because she earned her spot and works harder to get on the better team. I always hear it is about fun and not wins and losses so what is the downside other than losing a bunch of games? more playing time? batting second instead of 14? telling her friends she is the starting SS?
as far as the better coaching goes that is easy. have your best coach help the other coaches. show up at their practices teach the other coaches. just because it is how we have always done it, does not make it right.

I totally respect this perspective however, any attempt to satisfy all credible arguments/viewpoints, whatever the topic, is simply never going to happen. Nonetheless, the draft process becomes, if I may, the imposed manner of [preferably] untampered selection. They try (i.e., tryouts), we (coaches) observe, selections are made, teams result. The prior process, having been in place for "x" number of years, comes to a completion and the stage changes (i.e., age advancement to higher levels) and we as coaches work with what we get dealt for the now, new season - more appropriately, with what we have selected. I don't think this is a negative thing. I will concur, as has been pointed out numerous times in various places on this board, that very often, coaches need to step it up and become students of the game and art of coaching. Those coaches that do, can work with a child with any measurable athletic ability and an interest, and make them measurably better. The process has to be respected and, without manipulation, permitted to function as intended.

CH

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
I understand girls quite well. father of 12, 14 and 16 yo girls and have coached softball for the last five years. so two mediocre teams is the solution? and who says the girls on the "B" team wont win or are not trying to win. the tougher the battle, the sweeter the victory. now lets define victory or success, here's a hint, it has nothing to do with winning a game. success is getting better and it is the coach and orgs responsibility to instill this mindset. wins are a by product of continuing to get better. there are no short cuts. wins are irrelevant, period and should not ever be the goal. by making victory the goal all but one team will be a failure by that definition. it is about having EVERY girl getting better and yes that includes the better girls too. if an org continues to cater to the newer girls, the scenario I described above will be the inevitable.

You have here, captured the very essence of what this thread is all about. An entire team and coaching staff has been catered to at the expense of at least two DESERVING teams. It is not an argument or discussion of all things being equal and everybody getting a trophy. That, IMO, is total garbage. The discussion however, is about FAIRNESS and not sacrificing a crowd for a few.

CH

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I understand girls quite well. father of 12, 14 and 16 yo girls and have coached softball for the last five years. so two mediocre teams is the solution? and who says the girls on the "B" team wont win or are not trying to win. the tougher the battle, the sweeter the victory. now lets define victory or success, here's a hint, it has nothing to do with winning a game. success is getting better and it is the coach and orgs responsibility to instill this mindset. wins are a by product of continuing to get better. there are no short cuts. wins are irrelevant, period and should not ever be the goal. by making victory the goal all but one team will be a failure by that definition. it is about having EVERY girl getting better and yes that includes the better girls too. if an org continues to cater to the newer girls, the scenario I described above will be the inevitable.

REC leagues should strive to make their teams as balanced as possible. They are typically a captive organization, meaning their teams only play each other, and no one benefits from one team run ruling all the others. It would be the equivalent of a C-level TB team signing up for an A-level tournament every weekend and getting run ruled in every game they play. Who benefits from that? Good TB teams strive to win 50-70% of their games. If they are winning more than 70% they need to move up a category or an age group. If they are winning less than 50% they need to move down a category.

May 6, 2014
Columbus, GA
REC leagues should strive to make their teams as balanced as possible. They are typically a captive organization, meaning their teams only play each other, and no one benefits from one team run ruling all the others. It would be the equivalent of a C-level TB team signing up for an A-level tournament every weekend and getting run ruled in every game they play. Who benefits from that? Good TB teams strive to win 50-70% of their games. If they are winning more than 70% they need to move up a category or an age group. If they are winning less than 50% they need to move down a category.

And this is exactly what the situation has evolved into - like you couldn't see it coming. Remember, OP states that the "expansion" team was the previous seasons major division team that advanced to LLWS play and placed in the top five in the WORLD. Yes, in Oregon in 2014.

Thus far, this seasons scores look something like this:

25 to 4
18 to 5
19 to 2, etc.

All the while, MAKING innings end by taking intentional early lead offs, staying out on bunts for strike outs, NOT stealing and yet STILL having scores as stated above. The competition is NOWHERE near close for two teams and nearly three. ALL bc of this completely and totally unjustifiable manipulation of the system.

Who should feel good about this?????

CH

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207