New hands first style of hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Maybe they're calling it that without actually doing it. Hands first swinging doesn't work well for a number of reasons.

Maybe someone could point out what advantage that would give you. Seems to me there would be less power, for one thing. Once you commit the hands it's hard to check your swing. That should make change ups a disaster for the batter.

What D1 schools are going to do that?

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Maybe they're calling it that without actually doing it. Hands first swinging doesn't work well for a number of reasons.

Maybe someone could point out what advantage that would give you. Seems to me there would be less power, for one thing. Once you commit the hands it's hard to check your swing. That should make change ups a disaster for the batter.

What D1 schools are going to do that?

There is a way to get the hands and barrel moving early without either moving towards the pitcher. Hopefully that's what they're talking about.

Oct 12, 2009
Define what your talking about. Could be any number of responses.

I was at an Arkansas tournament last weekend and talked to a coach from Southern Miss. She thought ULL's rotational approach was new and revolutionary, so I'm not sure what the other new alternative is (unlessit's rotational by another name).

May 7, 2008
DFW
I was at an Arkansas tournament last weekend and talked to a coach from Southern Miss. She thought ULL's rotational approach was new and revolutionary, so I'm not sure what the other new alternative is (unlessit's rotational by another name).

LOL. Well I guess for those with their head in the sand that could be said but ULL has been doing what they do for at least 5 years.

Nov 29, 2009
I don't remember what it was called but I believe the coach that told me about it said the name of the swing began with a T . A top SEC school is using this new swing that focuses on the upper half initiation of the swing instead of lower half.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Well I can kind see hands pulling bat into swing plane but since your hands , shoulders, and elbows are pretty much connected during the early part of the swing I dont quite get it unless maybe that first move going into the slot causes a bit of seperation then everything stays connected until extension?