New coach looking for advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2021
Hi. New to coaching and coach a jv team. 15 girls and just me alone coaching. Suggestions on how to divide up practice as to where I can see all but not have the same old line drills where they take ground balls
Also. The talent is some very good girls and some new to softball. How do I teach correct throwing mechanics. A couple girls are throwing really bad and after a week it’s hard for them to re learn

Any advice on how to run an efficient practice alone is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You have 3 units here. Pitcher & catchers, infielders, and outfielders. Each unit has specialty work and needs to hit. You have to break down your team and see how you can best serve these units. Yes, there are times you can have pitchers and catchers get their work in as the OF and Infielders hit. Don't forget to let the pitchers and catchers hit if they play multiple positions. You have times when you need to set up situational defense. That requires all to be in their positions and you have enough to have a runner or two. You can do a lot of coaching that way. There might be times where you need to stagger a practice for example on Saturdays. Have players come in who need individual attention OR bring them in as units.

When you are the only coach, you need to make sure that your players know their responsibilities setting up and breaking down practice. Most coaches lose significant time trying to do it all. You can have 15 players set up hitting stations and defensive stations in a few minutes if they know exactly what to do when they get to practice. Finally, if you have a typed-out practice plan with times for whatever you are doing, you'll be ahead of the curve. Some coaches go to practice and wing it. As a coach, I can tell who those coaches are.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Finally, if you have a typed-out practice plan with times for whatever you are doing, you'll be ahead of the curve. Some coaches go to practice and wing it. As a coach, I can tell who those coaches are.

Take this advice.

Even after five years of coaching, if I have to wing it (maybe a game is postponed last minute, but I still want to practice that day), it's just not nearly as effective as if I have a plan typed out. This is especially true the fewer coaches I have because the hardest part of planning a practice is ensuring it moves quickly and everybody stays busy. It's so, so hard to do that when you're standing there, staring at 15 girls who are all waiting for you to tell them what to do.

Specifically to your situation, you can use your better players to help you run stations. They're not coaching, but if you need someone to hit ground balls to the infielders, let one of them do it (make sure they rotate with others so they also get reps).

As for throwing: Aaron Wasserman's High Level Throwing. That should be the beginning and end of your search.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish