New bat for 10 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach_Kent_Murphy

Dingers and Stingers
May 2, 2021
My kid needs a new bat. Currently swinging a -13, 29" bustos.

She is 10 years old, 5' and around 110 pounds. According to a lot of the sizing charts, she should be using a 31" -10.

Our association has an indoor facility, with some cage bats. We went there tonight and did some hitting off the T.

She tried out what was available in the 30 and 31 inch sizes. A 30" -11, and a 31" -11.

the 30" she swung really well, and said she liked it the best. The 31 she could swing, but it was kind of "clunky" if that makes sense. The 30 was much smoother.

they didn't have a 30 -10 to try out.

even though it is smaller than what is recommended, do I just go with the 30/19? It is still a big jump in size compared to what she is currently swinging.

i want to buy her a good bat this week, but want to make sure I size it properly.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I swear we need to make a sticky thread saying that sizing charts are a recommendation only. To properly size your DD, measure from shoulder point to the other shoulder point then double it; that's your bat size. If it's a tweener, go with what she's more comfortable swinging. The weight will depend on swing mechanics but as a general rule, I try to get all of my hitters in a drop 10 ASAP. Also remember, that every extra inch of bat length affects swing speed the same as adding an extra ounce of weight. So I try to minimize the large jumps with my hitters. In other words, 2 ounces or an inch and an ounce at a time. In your case. moving from a 29 drop 13 to a 31 drop 11 is like adding 5 ounces of bat weight to your DD's swing so no wonder it felt "clunky". IMO that way too much. Even 4 ounces (30/-11) is pushing it. My recommendation would be to stick with a 29" bat but move to a drop 10 and in 6 months move to the 30 drop 10 once she's used to the weight change.

ETA: If your DD's correct size is a 31/-10, move to that 6 months after moving to 30/-10. Also, expect to buy at least 1 new bat a year as she grows and becomes stronger.

Last edited:

Coach_Kent_Murphy

Dingers and Stingers
May 2, 2021
I swear we need to make a sticky thread saying that sizing charts are a recommendation only. To properly size your DD, measure from shoulder point to the other shoulder point then double it; that's your bat size. If it's a tweener, go with what she's more comfortable swinging. The weight will depend on swing mechanics but as a general rule, I try to get all of my hitters in a drop 10 ASAP. Also remember, that every extra inch of bat length affects swing speed the same as adding an extra ounce of weight. So I try to minimize the large jumps with my hitters. In other words, 2 ounces or an inch and an ounce at a time. In your case. moving from a 29 drop 13 to a 31 drop 11 is like adding 5 ounces of bat weight to your DD's swing so no wonder it felt "clunky". IMO that way too much. Even 4 ounces (30/-11) is pushing it. My recommendation would be to stick with a 29" bat but move to a drop 10 and in 6 months move to the 30 drop 10 once she's used to the weight change.

ETA: If your DD's correct size is a 31/-10, move to that 6 months after moving to 30/-10. Also, expect to buy at least 1 new bat a year as she grows and becomes stronger.

Thanks for that info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414