Need help understadning this..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
USSSA 10 U this weekend.

Runner on second...new batter up to plate takes the second strike which happens to be dropped.Batter thinks its dropped third strike and starts to run to first. our catcehr who apparently doesnt know the pitch count rares back to make a play on the girl running to first and throws the ball away. Runner on second advances to third...ump called batter back as its only strike two..offensive coach yells out and says shouldnt "she"..the girl on third, go back to second....the girl starts walking back to second on her own and the ump calls the girl out for violating the look back rule. She was walking back to the plate she came from and my daughter was in the circle with ball in hand. Little crazy scenario how one issue caused another issue...just curious if thats correct.

May 17, 2012
It sounds like the umpire got it right to me. You are allowed one pause/decision with regards to the lookback rule. The runner on second decided to go to third. Once there she cant go back.

Essentially when you boil it down it's a stolen base.

Jun 22, 2008
Moral of the story, if the ball is in the circle with the pitcher, do not step off a base unless the umpires tells you to. The coach that was complaining about the girl should go back wasnt even her coach. She shouldnt have been listening to him in the first place. I know it sucks, but it is a violation of the lookback rule.

Nov 17, 2010
I can't understand why the offensive coach would want his player to go back to second in the first place.

Feb 3, 2011
That's what I read as well. As an offensive coach, I'm coaching my players not to give up any base they've achieved unless they receive an order from the umpire.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
sounds like no one is paying attention to the game or the rules there.

the batter didn't know the count
the catcher didn't know the count
the coach doesn't understand the rules and he thinks he is the ump

The ump might be the only one who knows whats going on here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes