My hand hurts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Wish my shin guards would have had the toe protector. My left big toenail has just grown back. DD keeps hitting it so the outside is nailed over!!!!!
Drop balls are of the devil!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yes, I know about this. We have team catcher meet us for her lessons, but for the rest, I just toss her balls from the bucket and she "speed" pitches to fence to get the reps in. LOL. I do warm up with her but the full wind up pitch...forget about it. Almost lost a thumb nail (pulled it halfway back instead of all the way...TG). I don't have the greatest reaction times, but I do my best.

Oh and I got the shin guards...can't live without them...I had swollen ankle (left leg) for the longest time due to getting slammed a couple of time right on the ankle bone.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Wish my shin guards would have had the toe protector. My left big toenail has just grown back. DD keeps hitting it so the outside is nailed over!!!!!
Drop balls are of the devil!

steel toed shoes are great for drop balls. Our barn floor is concrete so ones in the "dirt" skid and do not bounce. So they are toe level

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I love it when my oldest comes home so she can catch for my youngest. She is going to get a full dose of drop balls on those days. I agree, Steel toe boots and shin guards are a must. DD hit me in the knee one night, the next day at work as I was limping around, I had a hard time telling the GUYS at work that the reason I was limping was my 12yo hit me with a softball. To help with the sting in the hands cut a sponge to fit in the palm of the glove. It is great padding.

Jun 21, 2010
Tell me about it. DD is 16, Starts on her HS team and plays 18Gold TB. There is a black home plate with a lip all around it that her PC likes to use, I refuse to catch with it in front of me. Last weekend drop balls caught the front lip and nearly got me in the jaw.

This. When we practice indoors and there's a raised plate or a mat with a plate on it I always move them right out of the way. Too many drop balls hit right on the lip and it's anyone's guess where they go from there.

If there is just smooth green turf I don't have any issues with the drop balls. The bounces are true and they're not too hard to catch.

When we go outdoors I try to have her pitch where there's no raised home plate but it doesn't always work out that way. So sometimes I have to bail out on a drop ball. And no, I don't wear shin guards or a mask. Why? Because I'm an idiot.

May 31, 2011
I recently bought the Big Daddy catcher's mitt from Louisville Slugger. THe Big Daddy was specifically designed for bucket dads. It has helped a bunch. The hand still gets a little sore after a longer session, but it is nowhere near as severe as it was using my old Rawlings slow pitch glove.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Once my 10yr old DD hit 48mph and her drop ball/other pitches started actually moving fairly consistently I went to shin guards (and as a bucket dad I went to a 'cup' protector as well).

If we are pitching with a home plate (rather than the one I just draw in the dirt) I'll put on a helmet as well. I have a chest protector as well though I haven't put that on just yet - I probably should.

I have every expectation at some stage I will go to full catchers gear every time I catch her. Her travel catcher has been coming to some of her lessons as well to catch her which also is good.

Glove wise I have always caught with a Mizuno Catcher's glove. Get the occasional sting when it doesn't go straight into the pocket but my hand hasn't physically hurt after a pitching session so far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC