Moving for kids sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
No, we're lucky enough to have plenty of teams to choose from, and if DD really decides to commit, an uncle in Southern CA is a good travel coach. We could apply for a different school in the same district if we wanted, but we are in a good school for academics and I have no desire driving further to get either DD to a different school.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I kept my DD zoned to her school to guarantee a top 10% class rank.

That is a better strategy than moving in order to get a softball scholarship.

A friend of mine put his kid in a private school where she had a better chance to be the valedictorian. She did become the valedictorian...that plus very good SAT scores got her a 4 year full ride.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That is a better strategy than moving in order to get a softball scholarship.

A friend of mine put his kid in a private school where she had a better chance to be the valedictorian. She did become the valedictorian...that plus very good SAT scores got her a 4 year full ride.

When neighboring district schools average 30-40 valedictorians(perfect grades in all AP curriculum) in each Senior class, getting a B or two puts you out of the top 10% pretty quickly. My DD doesn't test well, but gets it done in the classroom in AP courses. She will receive automatic acceptance into her future school (if she continues her current trajectory) in the Dallas area and will be playing some very good D3 softball. Academic monies don't come easy at this school, which is the downfall. I figure if I am gonna be paying for her school, it better be worth it! It is less than half the cost of some of the schools DD was considering even at list price vs need based monies minus full cost($65-70K) or even a 50% scholly. Marketable DEGREE and job prospects is the goal! 6 years til DD gets off the payroll.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is 16 and home schooled, no idea how it is going to work out.

Current plan is to walk on to north central, good naperville IL schoocl, see what happens .

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I was curious to see how many people would or have moved because of kids sports.

I've been asked several times if we've considered doing this for the athletic advantages this could give my DD.

Not sure there is a need to move for auxiliary sports where recruiting is mostly done outside of school ball. HS football matters, softball not so much!

Feb 3, 2016
Not sure there is a need to move for auxiliary sports where recruiting is mostly done outside of school ball. HS football matters, softball not so much!
Softball isn't is big where we live. Oklahoma, Texas and Florida seem to have better Travel Ball teams.(Nationally known) Unless my kid plays up an obnoxious amount of year's she won't be surrounded with better athletes or higher skilled players.
-
I think being around kids dedicated like she is that push her to be better is something she could feed on. Hearing about a good player is different than playing with another good player.
-
The kids who want to be the best should be with other like minded kids. I see no value in being a bigger fish in a little pond.
If she's around other kids who make here average or just above average this would be movation for her.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414