More in the tank

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
My 12U DGD is a good hitter. .355 so far this year on a good TB team. She has always batted in the 3 or 4 position on teams she's played on. She has good power hits a lot of doubles and triples (would be home runs if she had any wheels). She is self taught with a little help from me. I believe she can increase her power and her BA at the level she plays by quite a bit with some professional coaching. However I hear a lot of "coaches" say "if the kid is hitting, leave her alone".
What is the opinion of the board?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Would your daughter want a hitting coach? Would she practice what she's being taught?

If she were motivated, and you can find a good hitting coach, then I think she would improve. It's rare to see a 12U swing that couldn't use a bit of work. But your daughter would have to work at it, and finding a good coach isn't always easy.

Would your daughter want a hitting coach? Would she practice what she's being taught?

If she were motivated, and you can find a good hitting coach, then I think she would improve. It's rare to see a 12U swing that couldn't use a bit of work. But your daughter would have to work at it, and finding a good coach isn't always easy.
Agree with everything CB says here.

I'd also add that in almost 100% of the non-instructed cases I've seen and/or taken on, the rotational mechanics of girls this age are almost always lacking. They simply don't use their lower bodies as well as they could. Working on that alone with an accomplished pro could see nice development in a relatively short period of time.

Jul 2, 2013
All depends on the swing itself. Some at 12U are very, very close and only need simple specific instructions on how to improve one step at a time. Finding a great hitting coach, who is also the head coach or assistant coach, can do it within the team structure, without additional paid lessons.

.355 BA is not as great as you may think at 12U. The baseline for great at this level is more near .500.

I am not a fan of just giving a good hitter away (and paying money) to a self proclaimed great hitting coach for a total rework. Much of what you need to know is public information, like this board.

Always be involved in her swing. Know her weaknesses, and her strengths. Know the plan, and talk to the coach about what he is trying to accomplish. It is not that hard to figure out.

Most coaches want to elongate the lower body. Only to have to go backward when older to shorten it back up. A quick, powerful hip rotation is enough, though many want to focus on something exagrated, where as you say her power is plenty, so it probably is not in the hips.

Reps, reps, let the ball go deep in the swing. Don't pull everything. Hit for power the opposite way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523