Mom finds sex offender at practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
The best way to begin to give your DD a fighting chance is to teach her to be completely in control of her decisions. Have her recognize the potential hazards, especially of texting, and the use of space in any environment. make sure DD does not get close in physical proximity, or texting with people unfamiliar.

Sure background checks, and threats of physical violence may work. But your 12 year old will soon be 18 years old and none of this actually works then to protect her as a parent.

What does work at 18, is for a young female adult learn an innate sense of other peoples manipulation techniques. It starts with every young lady, even at 12, understanding, being completely comfortable, and having the confidence to tell any adult ... BACK OFF, I am in charge of my space. You are only allowed near enough because I have made a choice to let it be so.

Sometimes it takes a dad to get that brunt of aggression from his own DD when she tells him to BACK OFF (not for anything sinister, but everyday life). If that dad does indeed back off, because the young DD wants more space, he has just taught her how to it to other adults. If the dad refuses to allow his own DD to say back off to him, by scolding her, he has just taught her exactly what these preditors want. A vulnerable young lady who is afraid to STOP someone who is too close. Listen up dads.

Even then it may not work. But preditors have a sense of who is vulnerable, and who is not. Teach your child to be in charge, to act in charge, and she has the best chance. Sometimes, as a parent it means swallowing your pride and letting DD have it her way. And face the real life consequences. Instead of ordering her to do it your way, stay protected from the consequences, yet in the long run be more vulnerable.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
In one of the LL's that I hear about, a dad that was freshly out of prison, was offended when told that he wouldn't pass the background check. Plus, his own kids had an order of protection against him.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I guess it depends on why he was on the register. If its child related then he's gotta go. My childhood best friend is a registered sex offender and has to report his location etc... when he was a senior in high school and had just turned 18, his girlfriend who was a junior and not 17 yet got caught by her mom after school... he was charged with statuary rape because she was a month away from her birthday... is he a danger to our kids now? Not at all.... but he will carry that label for ever because of that day 21 years ago with his girlfriend of 4 years.

I agree in this case and tend to give a pass here. When I look at the records, I always take into account the offense, victim age, and offender age, but have no tolerance when it is a true crime.

Jun 24, 2013
I think this guy and I would have went fishing. Then we would have held a "See who can hold their breath underwater the longest" contest at a local fishing hole. Pretty sure he would win.....LOL

Aug 20, 2013
It is scary. My older DD plays on a rec BB league. I know for a fact one of the coaches has a record, but because of the charge(drug possession from years ago), knew he was most likely fine with kids. BUT....his being there told me that they are not doing background checks on anyone. I emailed over and they said they are in the process--big fat joke.

My kid isn't left alone at anytime and we won't play in that league again.

Aug 2, 2012
My policy as a coach is I'm never alone with the girls. The other day one of the parents was late picking her daughter up from practice. I made my assistant stay and we both waited until her mom showed up.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My policy as a coach is I'm never alone with the girls. The other day one of the parents was late picking her daughter up from practice. I made my assistant stay and we both waited until her mom showed up.
That's my policy too!!! Never alone with the kids...period!
I have a lot of private students for batting and pitching. I tell the parents that they have to be present so that they fully understand the fundamentals I'm teaching so that they can work with Sally more effectively at home!
Theres a lot of truth to that, but honestly it goes back to my "never alone" policy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG