Minimum Innings in order for a pitcher to progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
She can just blow fastballs by kids and doesn't have to change speed or hit spots. It might actually be bad for her.

Pitching to a live batter is never bad, even if the batter has no chance of making contact. Every pitch she throws she's learning where the ball is going relative to the batter. If she gets into the mindset of: "I don't have to take this batter seriously," she's going to have a tough time developing as a pitcher.

In her last year of 12U, DD pitched 137 innings in 41 games. 17 were TB games for 71 of the innings, 16 innings of school ball, and the rest (about 50 innings) was Rec. I felt like that was a nice mix of high-pressure games and just going out to play for fun.

To answer the original question, two tournaments a month sounds about right. 5-6 innings sounds like she's getting one start in the pool plus an inning or two of relief in the bracket. That's pretty good for a #2 pitcher. As your team (and your daughter) improves, you'll get higher seedings on Sunday and the coach will feel more comfortable starting the #2 for the first bracket game.

Oct 29, 2019
Pitching to a live batter is never bad, even if the batter has no chance of making contact. Every pitch she throws she's learning where the ball is going relative to the batter. If she gets into the mindset of: "I don't have to take this batter seriously," she's going to have a tough time developing as a pitcher.

In her last year of 12U, DD pitched 137 innings in 41 games. 17 were TB games for 71 of the innings, 16 innings of school ball, and the rest (about 50 innings) was Rec. I felt like that was a nice mix of high-pressure games and just going out to play for fun.

To answer the original question, two tournaments a month sounds about right. 5-6 innings sounds like she's getting one start in the pool plus an inning or two of relief in the bracket. That's pretty good for a #2 pitcher. As your team (and your daughter) improves, you'll get higher seedings on Sunday and the coach will feel more comfortable starting the #2 for the first bracket game.

Yes, Rec ball is probably good for her. She gets more innings in rec. then she does in Travel Ball and it's minimal effort.

The rec. coach always put her in when the game is on the line. Higher pressure situations.

Nov 18, 2013
12U

She does pick up occasionally.

She plays league ball too, but I'm not sure that helps. She can just blow fastballs by kids and doesn't have to change speed or hit spots. It might actually be bad for her.

Have her throw change ups in league play. She’ll give up some hits, but in the long run it’ll be great for her. Gives the fielders something to do too.

I think she’s getting enough innings to develop since you’ve got her with a PC and you’re practicing with her in her own. I’m not one that buys the “needs as many innings as possible in order to develop” that you hear so often from other pitchers parents. Most her development comes from practice. Innings are to put it to use and keep her motivated. Sounds like you’ve got her in a good place.

In regards to another post, I like healthy competition between players. It can help motivate both kids. Where it becomes an issue is with parents or if one of the kids has a bad attitude. DD progressed far more on teams she was the #2. She’s roommates now with the girl who was #1 on her old 14U team so there doesn’t have to be animosity.

May 20, 2015
why pitch #1 in bracket play until she fades? that sounds like poor strategy - i HOPE for a game early where i can start my #3.....I save #1 as long as I can, and if I can pull #1 from a game and clean up with someone else I do - I want #1 as strong as possible as late as possible into bracket play

sorry, you got good answers on your main point, so I got stuck on this one lol

Oct 29, 2019
Have her throw change ups in league play. She’ll give up some hits, but in the long run it’ll be great for her. Gives the fielders something to do too.

I wish this would happen. I've asked the coach to mix in more pitches. I think it's hard for the coach to not take 70% chance of a K if she just throws fastballs. She is probably 5-8 MPH faster then the next fastest pitcher in the league so girls just aren't used to it. Also the catcher has dropped the ball on every 3rd strike Change-up.

Oct 29, 2019
why pitch #1 in bracket play until she fades? that sounds like poor strategy - i HOPE for a game early where i can start my #3.....I save #1 as long as I can, and if I can pull #1 from a game and clean up with someone else I do - I want #1 as strong as possible as late as possible into bracket play

sorry, you got good answers on your main point, so I got stuck on this one lol

I did get good answers on my other question. Thanks guys.

She has gotten the start on the first bracket game when we know we are playing a lesser team. I would agree with the coach when it's single elimination bracket and we want to keep playing. Our #1 is a horse that can pitch 2 games without slowing down. Not questioning the coaches decisions at all. He knows what he is doing. Just wondering if I need to find some more innings to develop.

Jun 8, 2016
Pitching some in games is important but it is less important than hitters getting game ABs IMO. Pitchers dictate, hitters react.

May 20, 2015
I did get good answers on my other question. Thanks guys.

She has gotten the start on the first bracket game when we know we are playing a lesser team. I would agree with the coach when it's single elimination bracket and we want to keep playing. Our #1 is a horse that can pitch 2 games without slowing down. Not questioning the coaches decisions at all. He knows what he is doing. Just wondering if I need to find some more innings to develop.

gotcha......we played at least 4 every sunday of every pool tournament last year, so we plan on using 3 every sunday......

i love a first or 2nd strike change up, especially with no runners on......i actually dislike the 3rd strike change up unless the girl has fouled a few off.......3rd strike CU is too predictable

Oct 29, 2019

137 innings for the year or season? If it's for the year then my DD's TB innings are right in line with yours.

May 20, 2016
She plays league ball too, but I'm not sure that helps. She can just blow fastballs by kids and doesn't have to change speed or hit spots. It might actually be bad for her.

Just because she can blow past them with fastballs doesn't mean she should. My DD played town ball while in 12U. I was the coach and i didn't allow her to throw any FB during town games. Only let her throw CU and CB. It did wonders for her in travel due to the high repetition of throwing those pitches and helped her hit her spot with those pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying