Middle School Tryout – 1st Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
Next week is going to be the 1st time DD is trying out for anything; she expects to make the Team. DW encourages this thought.

DD has practiced once in 2 months and has played in 4 games. She has not picked up a ball in weeks.

Even from only her own Team this year I know of at least 2 Players that are going to try out, that I think the coaches are going to perceive are better than DD. They are not; I do not think DW or DD get this part. I am guessing the MS coaches are not calling around for references.

1 set of parents annoy me because they know in a limited try out their DD comes off better then my DD, be interesting if their DD makes it and ours does not.

Who knows how many Players are trying out and their backgrounds are?

With DD’s base and ability she is probably still going to make the Team, not sure if that is good or bad.

It should be interesting.

First, I would get her in the cages two or three times prior to tryouts. I've found that batting skills deteriorate the quickest with a layoff. After practicing since January and playing tournaments the last eight weeks in a row, I gave my tb team a week off. We came back this week with a couple of practices. Our batting depreciated significantly but we made dramatic improvement after a couple of batting practices. It doesn't take long to get the skills sharpened back up.

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about outperforming other individuals. If she makes the team then she will have plenty of opportunities over the course of the season to prove she is better. And if she can't prove it over the course of the season it is likely because she isn't better. But really...I think the focus should be on just doing the best she can. This isn't about being better than other players...it's about being the best she can be based on her ability.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Why hasn't she picked up a ball in weeks? Does she want to play?

Been thinking about all the replies, especially this one.

Tryouts start tomorrow and she still has not picked up a ball. There are a couple of handouts that provide different information on tryouts. 1 says just Tuesday another says Tuesday – Thursday. She said DW and her are hoping it is just tomorrow. It sounds like she has better things to do right now then softball.

We will see how tomorrow goes.

I might need to have a talk with her about her not having to play but that conversation in itself puts pressure on her so I am going to hold off.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Been thinking about all the replies, especially this one.

Tryouts start tomorrow and she still has not picked up a ball. There are a couple of handouts that provide different information on tryouts. 1 says just Tuesday another says Tuesday – Thursday. She said DW and her are hoping it is just tomorrow. It sounds like she has better things to do right now then softball.

We will see how tomorrow goes.

I might need to have a talk with her about her not having to play but that conversation in itself puts pressure on her so I am going to hold off.

You never know what's going through their heads, but I'd have that conversation beforehand. Let her know that whatever she wants/decides to do today/tomorrow/future is OK with you and that you will always love and support her even if she wants to focus her energies on starting a coed tiddlywinks club. That way she knows going in that she's trying out and playing for herself, rather than to receive your attention or approval. That can be a big pressure reliever.

Nov 29, 2009

From what you're describing your daughter really doesn't want to play right now. She played a few rec games and is done with the sport mentally right now. Middle school is usually very political. The older kids play regardless of ability. The rules are usually dumbed down to just above rec level.

Don't be surprised if she doesn't make the team. There can be plenty of kids who she doesn't know who are playing ball at a higher level. Many of the travel teams are finishing up their seasons this week or last week. Not making the MS team may be a big wake up call for her.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It turned out to be a non-issue.

Good news is DD came home all excited after the tryout and likes the coaches. It sounds like they spent the 2 hours doing fielding drills making sure no one got hurt. Some players have never played softball before.

All of a sudden the next 2 days are going to decide if she plays on the 7th or 8th grade Team. I would guess it might also change during the season when she gets going again.

So the MS Team was not as good as I thought, it sounds like if DD is on the 7th grade Team she has to pay attention so that she does not hurt someone.

Softball can be very confusing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sorry, 1 more thing. DH a week from this Saturday. Followed by a game Monday then another DH on Wednesday. :)

They are going to play 5 games before they even know all the Players names.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My kid's MS softball/baseball was very serious (central IL.). If you didn't make that, chances were slim of you making the team ever, in HS.

Why hasn't she picked up a ball in weeks? Does she want to play? My DD and sons were in every day, full force by this time, in IL.

Amy, same in my area of Illinois. I've had parents beating down the door this past week trying to get their kids in for some quick lessons. Literally, ever night someone else shows up at the door. I also agree with Amy that around here if you don't make the middle school team, your chances are not good at making the high school teams. You will see at least one parent and often both parents at the middle school tryouts. When my dd tried out years ago, the unlocked one portion of the middle school to make sure parents had access to bathrooms, etc. and then set up a concession stand to make some quick money.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't see the comments about who plays. In our community, they used to go by "the middle school concept." IOWs everyone plays. It was killing our sports programs. Believe me, I coached basketball for much of that and when our 10-14 players were on the floor, the other team had their 1-5. The results were major slaughters. So, we have now changed. The teams are very competitive now and have won our division's state title a couple of times in the last two or three years.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is in Rec. and her HC said his DD will not play MS because it is not competitive, not sure what that meant. We will see how it works out but I am beginning to understand.

DD mentioned that some Players she worked against were really good, parent translation they were better than her right now.

I know there are a lot of good players out there, it seems like they are skipping MS ball because it does not mean anything to them or they do not think it will progress their game. IDK.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know a bunch of you don't hold much stock in MS or HS ball. Mostly due to there are only a few "good" programs in each state, if you're part of the good program it seems to be more important. If you're not part of a good program then the experience can suck big time.

But from a kids perspective any program "can" be important. This is usually the first REAL tryout for a player, no more daddy ball, no more picking their own team and level for their own personal reasons and abilities. If they make the team it's a big deal to them, they were "picked" over the 20-50 other students who tried, and the other 500-1500 who didn't try. They represent ( or should ) the best athletes in the sport from the student body, it's an honor. If they don't make it they feel "not good enough" or "what's wrong with me", both should be handled carefully.

We've always had a pretty good experience around here as far as school ball goes. ( all sports ) Politics are visible, but they are overshadowed by the will to win, so we "usually" play our best of the best. That being said, we still have plenty of parents with rose colored glasses on who sometimes will get out of line. Most of us just ignore them, or get a good laugh at their expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie