Middle School Team Rules / Playbook?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I coach 7th MS. Last season I put the girls where they played best and left them there. Only exceptions were for injury or absence. Only had 10 players, so my sub position was 2B with my 2nd best OF in RF.

We have a play book of defensive sets and coverages mainly because our practice time is limited and most of the girls came from rec or select and didn't really know. They're used to getting homework, so they knew the plays better than I did by the end of the season and were able to execute most of the time.

My DD is 7th this year. Our MS team is historically a mix of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. One thing our coach did last year that I thought was pretty neat was that he paired each of the 4 pitchers with one of the 4 catchers and each battery got 2 innings in a row, rotating through the 4 batteries every 2 games. Games are short, 1:15 drop dead which usually meant only 4 innings (sometimes into a 5th) with one or two games per week. As a rule, everyone got to play their first choice position for 2 out of every 8 innings, and then played other positions as needed. Non-pitchers/catchers generally got to play 2 of their first choice innings every game. We bat around, and rotate bench and only have 12-13 girls on the team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00