Metal Cleat Studs Wearing Out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
Sometimes walking on concrete is unavoidable, i.e., when teams have back-to-back games on different fields. Some coaches see taking the time to put slides on as a time waster.

Dec 15, 2012
You are correct. Between innings in the dugout and between back to back games are difficult to avoid. I wasn't sure if anyone had experience wit a particular brand holding up longer. Seems to me that a harder material is possible.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Have her take off the cleats and walk barefoot on the concrete. Saves the shoes and great for removing calluses.

We are trying, as coaches, to teach the girls how to take care of their equipment. No one on our team wears cleats to the car. They put them on at the field and take them off at the field.

We tell them all the time, "Your equipment can last a long time. Your parents aren't made of money!".
We also don't let parents carry bat bags.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We are trying, as coaches, to teach the girls how to take care of their equipment. No one on our team wears cleats to the car. They put them on at the field and take them off at the field.

We tell them all the time, "Your equipment can last a long time. Your parents aren't made of money!".
We also don't let parents carry bat bags.

Do they ever go to the bathroom? Concession stand between games? Ever switch fields?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2015
This is why I buy DD the previous year's model at a substantial discount. Just got a pair of $100 Mizunos for $34.99 at that monkey store.

Same here try to keep watch out for bargains on previous year models. Normally the old spikes are not completely worn out so she might wear them to practice and save her newest spikes for games. So far worked out pretty good.

Talking to parents haven't seen any one brand wear better than others.

Aug 7, 2015
Buy what ever brand your player wants and is comfortable in and then buy Cleatskins to slip on after games they go over the cleats and make a sneaker out of your cleats. Also a great comapny, I purchased the wrong ones the first time and called up told them what I did and with in two days I had two replacements delivered in two sizes to make sure I had the right ones and just had to send the others back.... Cleatskins.com

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Do they ever go to the bathroom? Concession stand between games? Ever switch fields?

That's different than walking out to the parking lot. The cleats do come off between games unless we're back to back.

Saw DD go down in the bathroom once. Trying to hurry, she was running into the bathroom. She planted a foot to make the corner and BOOM, down she went. Metal cleat slipped right out from under her. Popped right up and looked to see if anyone saw her. She doesn't run on concrete with her metals anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01