Mental game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2016
Have a couple of players on the HS level ( jr's) that are real good players, but always seem to when things arent successfully they tend to what I call drown in their self pity!!
Its getting to the point that their teammates are starting to really see it and are done with it.
As a coach, with a limited of number of players, what are some suggestions to help with this dilemma that we are having?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We have a girl on our 12u team who is similar. Fantastic athlete. Hits well, fields well, very consistent pitcher, so on and so on.

But if she has a couple bad AB’s or is struggling on the mound one game....it’s a complete shut down. HC had to have a chat with her and her parents after a complete melt down that basically made her unplayable.

She’s a great kid. DD and her are friends. I’ve spent a lot of our pre-season practices working with her just on the mental side and building her up. She’s very much a “have to be perfect in all things” kid. She’s got high standards for herself which is great. But coaching her on how to work through the mistakes and bad days has been as important as any physical drill or mechanic.

Cant say yet whether I’ve helped her as games won’t start for another couple of weeks. In the cages I see her take breathes and slow herself down if struggling. Where she used to grip the bat harder and swing with all her might rather than simplify and work through the process.

I’d be open to others suggestions on how to help with this type of player as well.

Jun 11, 2013
I hope you can figure it out. We used to have a 10 second rule, "you could be mad/down for 10 seconds and move on".

For some they need to just blow off steam. However, we had 1 player who the entire weekend would hinge on the first ball hit to her. If she made the play she was one our best players if not she was just done. I have never seen anything like it.

May 1, 2018
We have been working on a couple things mentally for our team:
"What is your advantage?" my question to the girls. What is the one thing that sets you apart on the team and give you an advantage over the others. My smallest girl "I have a small strike zone and I'm fast"..... so perspective matters.
Also can I have a bad game? Yes cause I have faith in my teammates to pick me up and have my back.

May 10, 2019
Have a couple of players on the HS level ( jr's) that are real good players, but always seem to when things arent successfully they tend to what I call drown in their self pity!!
Its getting to the point that their teammates are starting to really see it and are done with it.
As a coach, with a limited of number of players, what are some suggestions to help with this dilemma that we are having?
I would love to talk with you about some of the things I do with my team. If interested, reach out to me at njgators12u@gmail.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma