May be something to this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
The 3L rule for pitcher dads is applicable to catcher dads as well:

Lawn chair. Lemonade. Left field.

You'll be amazed at how much more enjoyable the game will become for you AND your daughter. ;)

I really need to remember this rule.

Actually, I am much better than I used to be. DD (pitcher) told me not to yell things from the stands, she can't hear me anyways. Knowing this little tidbit allows me to enjoy the game and keep score on my phone.

Nov 29, 2009
We have even developed hand signs, so I just have to do the sign when she looks at me and she will take a deep breath and refocus. (it was actually her sign and I just use it as needed)

I would always sit near the backstop and watch the pitches. I never called a pitch for my daughter for as long as she played. What I did do was watch to see if she was having trouble with something. Over the years of pitching in noisy places we developed a set of hand signals to communicate what was wrong with a pitch.

During a game if something wasn't working right she would give me a signal and I could communicate to her within a couple of seconds what she was doing wrong without a word being exchanged. No one ever knew except her and I all the way through college. The wife knew we did it, but it usually happened to fast she missed it all the time.

The KEY to helping is it must be asked for. Yelling random instructions does not help. Especially with a pitcher.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I would always sit near the backstop and watch the pitches. I never called a pitch for my daughter for as long as she played. What I did do was watch to see if she was having trouble with something. Over the years of pitching in noisy places we developed a set of hand signals to communicate what was wrong with a pitch.

During a game if something wasn't working right she would give me a signal and I could communicate to her within a couple of seconds what she was doing wrong without a word being exchanged. No one ever knew except her and I all the way through college. The wife knew we did it, but it usually happened to fast she missed it all the time.

The KEY to helping is it must be asked for. Yelling random instructions does not help. Especially with a pitcher.

My DD is the catcher. I could whisper and she would hear me. LOL! My hand signal is basically just saying take a deep breath.

I mentioned in my OP, that DD's stance was off last night. 1st inning, her catching coach is the opposing team's coach, he told me to tell her she needed to get lower, she was letting too many things past her. Yep, jsut like last night. So after the inning, I told her "Mike said....." And she was like oh, ok, I will work on that. Then I told her that was what was wrong last night. She then told me I should have told her, so she could have fixed it. LOL! Can't win for losing there. She did admit to being out of sorts last night and says she likes me nearby. She did play better tonight, which makes for both of us being happier.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
My DD says she has trouble focusing when I watch practice (even though me and the other parents never give instructions to the players). She says she's always wondering if I'm talking about her with the other parents (which most often I am not). Our deal is that I drop her off for practice and then leave so she can focus. She even mentioned once that she might not want me at games, but I told her that wasn't going to happen. I am going to watch the games. I never instruct her during games, and only discuss the game afterward if she brings it up. It seems to be a compromise that works.

Mar 11, 2009
Something interesting I was at a D1 Super Regional on this weekend stting right behind dugout and a really good pitcher got mad at her dad between innings telling him to stop yelling at her because she could hear everything he was saying. Funny thing was she was pitching pretty darn good at the time. I thought most parents got over doing this once thier kids hit 16u...However I have seen a father of a 12u player flip out at club games on more than one occasion and his older daughter plays for Arizona Wildcats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma