Marucci Cypress Feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
First time posting, but have spent a lot of time reading some very informative and entertaining threads on here. From what I gather, the Marucci Cypress has quite a few fans - most notably glove guru, Annasdad. I'm in the process of building a custom 12.5" for my 12yr old pitcher who also spends time in CF and occasionally 3B. My main question is should I spend the extra $30 for the "C type fit system"? Any other advice is also appreciated - particularly about break-in as it sounds as if this one could take some extra time and effort. Thanks!

Jan 28, 2017
First time posting, but have spent a lot of time reading some very informative and entertaining threads on here. From what I gather, the Marucci Cypress has quite a few fans - most notably glove guru, Annasdad. I'm in the process of building a custom 12.5" for my 12yr old pitcher who also spends time in CF and occasionally 3B. My main question is should I spend the extra $30 for the "C type fit system"? Any other advice is also appreciated - particularly about break-in as it sounds as if this one could take some extra time and effort. Thanks!

DD had the 12 inch Cypress and I loved it! IMO, it was a tad small for a pitcher. A beast to break in but just work it. I walked around all day working on it for about two months before it could be used in a game and probably 6 months before completely broke in. Not sure about the C type deal.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hey sgurg, thanks for the kind words, but honestly I’ve never owned a Marucci glove much less a C-MOD Marucci glove.

First off, if you feel the C-MOD option is for you, $30.00 is a no brainer! For a 12 year old I like a 12.5” for outfield, it could possibly be too big for her pitching at her age? What size girl is she?

How does she wear her glove now? Finger shift (TIP) or traditional?

The Marucci C-MOD, or C-Type fit isn’t like the Carpenter Trade C-MOD, which is the entire hand stall, the Marucci just has the mod in the thumb and pinky. Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Since you’re building a custom, especially a Cypress baseball glove, I might lean more towards a 12.25” for a 12 year old. Should be plenty of glove.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I would not go 12.5" for a pitcher. I would go 12.25" or 12". Pitchers need a fast moving glove for defense and to reduce work load during the pitching motion.

Aug 3, 2018
I ordered a custom Marucci Cypress 12.5 with the c-type fit & finger shift for my 13 year old for CF (she's planning on using her smaller glove when she pitches). Should be here within the next week or 2, & I'll post her thoughts when it gets here.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I ordered a custom Marucci Cypress 12.5 with the c-type fit & finger shift for my 13 year old for CF (she's planning on using her smaller glove when she pitches). Should be here within the next week or 2, & I'll post her thoughts when it gets here.
I’ll definitely be interested in hearing both you and your DD’s thoughts. A 12.25” I-web in Mesa Tan for $200 is very tempting!

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
Appreciate the feedback. Interesting thought regarding the 12.5 potentially being too big for a pitcher. She's on the taller side for her age at 5'5" and about 110lbs, but hand size is average. She has used a 12.5 the past couple of seasons and done fine with it, but we're always looking for an edge and if going down in size could potentially yield better results then it's certainly worth considering.

Sounds like the C-type is the way to go. The long break in period is concerning though as she really needs a new glove for the start of the season in March. However, in reading other posts it sounds like a quicker break in is often associated with lesser quality. Any recommendations for speeding up the break-in process? Or other gloves in the same quality spectrum that might be quicker.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Appreciate the feedback. Interesting thought regarding the 12.5 potentially being too big for a pitcher. She's on the taller side for her age at 5'5" and about 110lbs, but hand size is average. She has used a 12.5 the past couple of seasons and done fine with it, but we're always looking for an edge and if going down in size could potentially yield better results then it's certainly worth considering.

Sounds like the C-type is the way to go. The long break in period is concerning though as she really needs a new glove for the start of the season in March. However, in reading other posts it sounds like a quicker break in is often associated with lesser quality. Any recommendations for speeding up the break-in process? Or other gloves in the same quality spectrum that might be quicker.
As far as the glove size debate, hey you know your DD better than we do!

And as for the break-in, don’t sweat it, now if you were buying a Vinci catchers mitt then yeah, I’d say get ready!

Lots of people worry and stress over breaking in a new, stiff glove and there’s really no need! In your case depending on what time in March, you’ve got a quarter to a third of a year to get it ready!

I always recommend just playing hard catch and keeping it wrapped up with a ball in a Mizuno velcro glove wrap. Remember, the longer and slower the break in, the longer the glove will hold it’s shape and last. But it is a higher quality glove, so you can get rude with it and not worry about hurting it? NO STEAM, NO HEAT!!

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
As far as the glove size debate, hey you know your DD better than we do!

And as for the break-in, don’t sweat it, now if you were buying a Vinci catchers mitt then yeah, I’d say get ready!

Lots of people worry and stress over breaking in a new, stiff glove and there’s really no need! In your case depending on what time in March, you’ve got a quarter to a third of a year to get it ready!

I always recommend just playing hard catch and keeping it wrapped up with a ball in a Mizuno velcro glove wrap. Remember, the longer and slower the break in, the longer the glove will hold it’s shape and last. But it is a higher quality glove, so you can get rude with it and not worry about hurting it? NO STEAM, NO HEAT!!
Yes, I learned the hard way with heat. Was an idiot and used the "hot glove" foam on a Mizuno catcher's mitt for myself last Winter and that didn't end well. Saw in one of your previous posts about the Mizuno glove wrap and definitely plan to pick one up. Thanks!

BTW, see your from NC. I spent 7 great years in Greenville at ECU...and no, I'm not a doctor :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1