Looking to study Robinson Cano's swing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What's your definition of when the swing is right and how excactly do we know?
The more my daughter feels like she has the upper hand against good pitching based on the results she is able in large part to predictibly control - regardless of pitch type and location - as a result of her work and undertstanding of her swing, the closer she is to having her swing right.

The evaulation is results based. The means of improving results is to try to recreate what you can understand as common characteristics in many successful swings. Success is difined as the batter hitting the ball for a positive outcome - how and where they would expect to - based on pitch type and location.

Oct 25, 2009
I guess that is my point, how do we judge continuous improvement? By results or technique. For example if I were helping Cano would I want him to eliminate the sway and head movement, work on a better coil? Or do the results speak for themselves? And if they do, what is it that makes them so, homeruns, BA, OB%? When does continuous improvement equal dimishing returns? Just some food for thought.

The results speak for themselves. The more consistent the results the better able one is to continuously improve.

There is no simple way to explain what one needs to do to improve. Each player at each workout (actually at each bat, each swing) will have various issues to address. One will always be striving for perfection that will never happen at any level. The more you try, the more you learn, the closer you will get to the desired results. What FiveFrame called "Continuous improvement."

The more you learn the better you will be able to help with various aspects of the swing. You will be able to detect and help correct issues that create predictable negative results or reinforce what creates predictable positive results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd