Looking for hitting guidance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2015
Attaching a slow motion video link of one of my DD. She looks pretty good to me but I'd like some guidance from the brain trust here. Input appreciated! Hope I get this link right!

https://youtu.be/c11PP7K7DIA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Not bad but it looks to me like the bottom hand is not involved enough and instead she pulls with the front shoulder.

A little bat drag sneaking in there.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Is your goal to have her be a no-stride hitter?
I teach a stride, but you can have a good no stride swing. I think a stride gives you more power.
No stride might be a little easier with timing, but I think you will hit that same pitch farther with a stride

SL

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Thanks for the input! She has been taught no stride, thinking about starting to teach a little stride, not sure if I'll do it before spring starts (two weeks) or try during summer break? Don't want to mess her timing up much. Maybe teach a little toe tap?

I was a little concerned about the bat lag/drag and not enough bottom hand. Which drills should I we be working on to best work on those?

Any other thoughts? She is a pretty strong hitter for her 04 age group here, but our goals are to to get much better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jim Edmonds was a "no-strider" that had a pretty good career. There are benefits to each style, but to me it is just that... a style. Have the hitter try it both ways and see what she is most comfortable with. Work with her strengths.

311ujgo.jpg

Here is another no-stride hitter.... Miguel Sano

26090sm.jpg

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Jim Edmonds was a "no-strider" that had a pretty good career. There are benefits to each style, but to me it is just that... a style. Have the hitter try it both ways and see what she is most comfortable with. Work with her strengths.

311ujgo.jpg

Here is another no-stride hitter.... Miguel Sano

26090sm.jpg

Just for the sake of conversation , they look all back all forward. With no stretch.(a little)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just for the sake of conversation , they look all back all forward. With no stretch.(a little)

Edmunds has some subtle stretch. If I get some time tonight I will chop up that gif to show what I mean. Sano probably isn't the best example.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_o37teznWX11usf292o1_250.gif

You can take my advise or not. What your DD has been taught is a 'band aide' to make her a contact hitter with no power. Dropping the front foot heel is not timing that's going to work going forward. Been there done that with my DD.
I see 'bat drag',spinner, an all arm swinger, and 'hands along for the ride swinger'and one piece swing. Sorry, you get the ideal.
I would like someone( SL) suggested teach her to stride,FBC ,the proper sequence now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi