Looking for a winter camp!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
So, I'm trying to find a good winter camp for dd(10yoa)to attend this year. Last year we went to SIU-C's pitching camp. She has expressed that she doesn't really want to go back this year.
Dd has a growing interest in catching so I woould like to find a camp where she could focus on that. Well, to be honest, I would like for her to be focusing on pitching but........especially since Monica Abbott has a camp at WKU next month.
We live in So. Illinois and don't mind driving a few hours but nothing really extreme. Thinking about driving to Louisville and trying that one. Thought about driving to Kansas City for a Cat Osterman/ Megan Willis camp, but that is a drive and KC in the middle of winter seems brutal.
I've been scouring the interweb but figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone knew of anything I haven't found yet.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Went to that cat/megan clinic last year. It was....well...ok. My dd catches, and that was really good. Megan is loud, a good teacher, and inspirational. Cat is pretty quiet.

A guy I work with has a dd that was a pitcher, just graduated from a d3 school. He says they had been to several dozen camps and clinics, he said Mizzou ran by far the best pitching camps.

Softball Hosts Winter Clinics - MUTIGERS.COM - The University of Missouri Official Athletic Site
If we went to Cat/Meg cliniic it would be for catching. Mizzou camp is on the table if she wants to go to a pitching camp. Last year they did a camp at St. Louis Baseball and Fastpitch Academy. Maybe they will again.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree, rhc. I thought Megan Willis's clinic (catchers only) two years ago at Sweeny's gym in NKC (maybe three?) was better than last year's. I was sad that Megan didn't have them working on passed balls last time; she had done a great job with that skill. She had more time to teach catching skills when there wasn't time spent on pitching. :)

From reading the flyer, the girls have to come as a pitcher/catcher pair to attend the Cat/Meg clinic this winter. DD's with a new team and I'm not sure if either of her pitchers would be interested. We may skip it this year or I may check with her pitching friend from last year and see if she'd want to go with her again. I don't think I'd drive all the way from Southern Illinois!

Jun 21, 2010
DD went last year. We live in the PNW, so it was a long day getting there. As for the camp, huge group of girls--~250. DD is a catcher so every other station was catching, which was run very well. Smaller group of girls. Overall I liked what I saw. DD enjoyed the camp. Candrea was approachable. All coaches were there as well as current and former players. Weather was great until the late afternoon thunderstorm second day ended the camp a little early.

I would love to take my DD to his camp! If you have attended his camp can you tell me your thoughts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd