Lineups and position change tracking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2016
I'm coaching an 8U team and we change positions allot, and I also want to keep track of who's sat and which position they've played. Does anyone have any recommendations on what they use to keep track of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 29, 2015
I use excel to make a chart of all the positions and where I intend to play girls for each game. I print it off and have it on a clipboad in the dugout. Sometimes you have to make changes on the fly (injuries, pitching problems, someone forgets to mention they won't show up, etc), but at least you have a starting point and a reference guide.

When I was at 8U, I planned every inning, position wise in a spreadsheet, for the proper balance of PT, print it out. If the plan fell apart during the game (sit due to heat, late, etc.) I would leave room to mark up the grid on the fly. I wouldn't change during an inning. Copy tabs for each game and you can get clever with counting formulas to visualize who's played what for next game planning.

May 6, 2015
I used excel as well, printed it out right before I left office on game nights (hopefully to have it as relevant as possible with regards to player absences).

lot of work to set up to start, but I simply had a line for each player, and added columns for new innints (grouping them into games) as needed, and tracked players time and positions, and even did some pivot tables to aggregate time in IF vs time in OF, etc., just in case anyone asked. also gave me insight for next games lineup. Once you get it set up, it is only tweaking it, and you can just copy for next year.

did same for batting stats, including order, so no kid was always last or first.

you cannot control what you do not measure!

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I have used an excel spreadsheet that was passed around our LL for years if you PM me with your email I would be happy to send it to you. I still use it for my TB teams.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
I have found my people! I thought I was Super-Geek using Excel since no one around me did it.

I, too, have used MS Excel to plan out inning-by-inning position changes. I then wrote a formula that would count out how many times any particular player sat the bench in a specific game to make sure everybody had at least 1 inning and no more than 2 innings on the bench.

Jun 28, 2016
NJ
Agree with planning using a spreadsheet. But when you're actually in the dugout. Does anyone still use a Coacher (magnetic board for positions / lineups), or have they gone the way of the dodo?

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
After the tournament schedule comes out I will prepare a spreadsheet and get feedback from the Asst. coaches. Come game time one of the asst. coaches then prepares the Magnetic board for positions each inning and sets the line up for each game. This is for a 10U team, I couldn't imagine not having a magnetic board in the dugout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez