Let's discuss kneesavers...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
Neither DD or DS like using them. But, they don't like batting gloves either. When they first started catching they wore them. Then, as they actually learned to catch, they both came to the conclusion that they weren't needed. Some may like them. My catchers do not. I also notice (and there may be some bias involved) that most of the top end catchers I see in either youth baseball or softball don't use them. I do wonder as they age and the inevitable happens to their knees, if they might come full circle.

However, there must be some value in them. I see plenty of MLB catchers using them. But, MLB players also use giant weights on their bats when they are on deck. :)

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I agree that knee savers don't directly make a catcher lazy. But you are taught to get your butt as low to the ground as possible when you block. When you add something to the back of the legs, it will be a restriction.

Jun 11, 2013
Lenski hit on the nose. Some kids like them, some don't. Maybe in rec it makes a catcher lazy, but in TB no good catcher are lazy.

Jan 22, 2011
Just a word of caution.....Knee savers that are not installed correctly can actually do damage to the joint. They are meant to be worn on the bottom two straps of the shin guard, but I constantly see them installed higher which acts as a wedge behind the knee. This is not good.

This^^^^. Jay Weaver from New England Catching Camp sent a newsletter article about knee savers this morning and here is an article from April 2012 about knee savers.

The New England Catching Camp» Blog Archive » April 2012-Tip of the Month

Bottom line is there is no evidence they prevent knee injuries, though they may help players who already have knee issues. There is some thought what injures the knees is the catchers constantly standing back up.

I personally advise against them and while I was president of our rec league, told our equipment person to not buy new ones as the old ones got lost.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My only issue with knee-savers is if the catcher is wearing them wrong. Otherwise, I judge a catcher based on her skills on the field, not whether or not she is wearing knee-savers.

That said, my DD ditched hers over a year ago.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD tried them and didn't like them as well. That said, I've found them more a hindrance in proper footwork mechanics than I've found them to be useful. In a proper catching stance, as taught by NECC, she shouldn't need them.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
But you are taught to get your butt as low to the ground as possible when you block.

Not by everyone. NECC teaches butt up, get a little tall and lean forward some, and most MLB catchers I see also stay butt up.

DD wears them, but it's her 1st year catching, and she only did it regularly during fall ball. I don't really think she'd care if I took them away.

Dec 19, 2012
But you are taught to get your butt as low to the ground as possible when you block.

I'm not so sure this is sound instruction. You only need to get the butt down just low enough so when the catcher drops the mitt in the "5" hole the entire gap is covered. It produces a higher wall. The more area covered, the better. Also, it takes less time for the catcher to get to their feet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles