Leaning Into Plate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
When DD starts her swing, the first thing she does now is lean toward the plate causing her head to drop a lot. When she does her swing slo-mo she doesn't do this and when she hit a ball from mid zone to high in the zone she doesn't do it. Only on a ball from waist down. Any suggestions to help her get back to not leaning and "keeping her head still"?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Video and age would help. Just to be clear on your question. On a ball pitched to your DD below the waist down the middle or on the outside of the plate.Your DD leans into across the plate? I believe this is what she should be doing. You don't want her head to drop alot, but you do want tilt. How else should she get down to a low pitch ball, but to tilt. We don't want your DD to stand upright and bring her hands down to the ball. If I misunderstood your question, can you please explain further for myself and others.

Jun 11, 2012
She's 13 yoa. I don't know how to load a vid but to hopefully explain better....it's a ball down the middle. She has a little lean/tilt in her stance but her first motion when she starts the swing is leaning toward/over (more than in her stance) the plate and her head drops a good 5-8 inches.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
A pitch down the middle at the waist. If your DD stayed in her stance postition the only way for your DD to hit this pitch would be to drop her hands down to ball. We don't want the hands to drop, the hands should remain at or around the armpit height. Your DD needs to tilt over/across the plate to hit this pitch. Not seeing video of your DD doing this, of course the head dropping can be over done. Along with tilting over the plate, the back leg also needs to bend down depending on the height of the pitch. Most kids I've seen bend the whole body down(both legs) and drop hands down to hit a pitch low. Which isn't correct. Look at the model hitting thread and see if your DD matches what these hitters are doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32